Data Scientist, Growth
MongoDB, New York City
MongoDB unleashes the power of software and data for innovators everywhere
MongoDB is one of the fastest growing technologies of all time, and MongoDB Atlas is our global cloud database service. Launched 2 years ago and available in over 50 regions across AWS, Azure, and GCP, Atlas is the fastest growing part of the business and strategic to the company’s future.
We are seeking a Data Scientist for the Growth team. At the intersection of analytics, product management, and marketing, this role will analyze data to identify what behaviors our best customers exhibit, how we optimize the web and product experience, and what to build next.
- Build complete view of product usage and funnel a) to identify the areas of opportunity, and b) to drive recommendations on how to improve our web site and products
- Uncover key user behaviors through quantitative analysis – e.g., comparing cohort behavior, running regressions and classifications
- Identify new levers to help move key metrics
- Inform, design, and analyze the results of A/B tests and other experiments
- Create user personae based on activity breadth, volume, and relative frequency
- Embed yourself with other teams in the company so you understand the relevant questions and needs of the business, and use that to inform your analysis
- Use data to get in the mind of the user and understand how we can make life as easy and frictionless as possible for them
- 2-5 years experience in product analytics at a strong data-informed product/technology company
- Desire to proactively poke around the data and surface insights for the team
- Ability to take results of analyses and communicate actionable product recommendations based on them
- Ability to move quickly and iterate on analyses
- Knowledge of statistics (e.g., hypothesis testing, regressions)
- Confidence using SQL for fetching and manipulating data
- Comfort with ambiguity and the ability to work in a self-guided manner
- Experience with a scripting language such as R, Python, or others is a plus but not required
- Within 1 month, get up to speed on a) the analytics tools and data we use b) the basic structure of our web site and product
- Within 2 months, analyze user funnel and behavior, and identify top 5 areas of opportunity
- Within 3 months, define roadmap for further analyses and experimentation, with input from Product and Marketing teams
*MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.*
MongoDB was founded in 2007 by Dwight Merriman, Eliot Horowitz and Kevin Ryan – the team behind DoubleClick.
At the Internet advertising company DoubleClick (now owned by Google), the team developed and used many custom data stores to work around the shortcomings of existing databases. The business served 400,000 ads per second, but often struggled with both scalability and agility. Frustrated, the team was inspired to create a database that tackled the challenges it faced at DoubleClick.
MongoDB is the leading modern, general purpose database platform, designed to unleash the power of software and data for developers and the applications they build. Headquartered in New York, with offices across North America, Europe, and Asia-Pacific, we are close to where you do business. MongoDB has more than 4,300 customers in over 85 countries, including more than half of the global Fortune 100. The MongoDB database platform has been downloaded over 30 million times and there have been more than 730,000 MongoDB University registrations.