Director of Data Science
MongoDB, New York City
MongoDB unleashes the power of software and data for innovators everywhere
You love data, both big and small. You are passionate about developing models and generating insights that inform business decision making, product design, and that drive customer delight. You are a driven self-starter that can work proactively and collaboratively across functions at all levels of the organization and feel at home in the fast-paced and challenging environment of a rapidly growing software business.
MongoDB is one of the fastest growing technologies of all time and data is essential to maintaining our pace of growth. The Director of Data Science will lead our emerging data science function with responsibility for setting the vision and agenda and putting in place the team and structures to realize them as we scale to and beyond $1B in sales.
What you'll be doing
- Lead MongoDB's centralized data science team
- Define the company’s data science and ML strategy in partnership with executive and functional leadership
- Partner with cross-functional stakeholders across the business to set and execute a balanced agenda that meets the data science needs of the company
- Recruit and develop an exceptionally talented team of data scientists that will serve as strategic thought-partners to the product and go-to-market teams
- Champion the use of data to drive decision making across the company and at all levels of the organization
- Collaborate with product teams and business units to identify and prioritize value creation opportunities
- Collaborate with the data engineering team to ensure appropriate investments in data, tooling, and architecture for our data science & machine-learning stack
What we're looking for
- 10+ years of relevant professional data science experience with a background in some combination of marketing, growth, product and/or web analytics
- 4+ years experience performing advanced analytics using structured and unstructured data
- 3+ years of managing a team of analysts/data scientists
- Expert understanding of methods in statistics, data science, and machine learning
- Fluent in Python or R and SQL; MQL a plus
- Familiarity and comfort working in a big data environment with unstructured or semi-structured data
- Strong ability to understand business priorities, recognize leverage in analytics projects, and prioritize appropriately
- Excellent communication skills - oral, written, and visual
- Eager to roll up your sleeves and dig into any problem in a fast-paced, high-growth environment
- Bachelor’s in a quantitative field, Master’s or PhD strongly preferred
- In 3 months you will have a deep understanding of your team goals, the value proposition to the company, and a roadmap for the next 12 months
- In 6 months you will have grown your team to address emergent needs, improved competencies, and set in motion the top agenda items to scale the team going forward
- In 12 months you will have delivered on two to three projects that measurably improve MongoDB's ability to leveraging large volumes of product data to drive business performance improvements
- People: Recruit, develop, retain, and motivate your team
- Customer Obsession: Collect and analyze feedback from both internal and external sources to deepen our understanding of stakeholder needs
- Communication: Successfully communicate the data science/analytics roadmap with the ability to communicate complex technical topics simply and convincingly to a wide range of audiences
- Drive long term vision: Maintain rolling 3 year view of key priorities and investments required to execute against them
MongoDB was founded in 2007 by Dwight Merriman, Eliot Horowitz and Kevin Ryan – the team behind DoubleClick.
At the Internet advertising company DoubleClick (now owned by Google), the team developed and used many custom data stores to work around the shortcomings of existing databases. The business served 400,000 ads per second, but often struggled with both scalability and agility. Frustrated, the team was inspired to create a database that tackled the challenges it faced at DoubleClick.
MongoDB is the leading modern, general purpose database platform, designed to unleash the power of software and data for developers and the applications they build. Headquartered in New York, with offices across North America, Europe, and Asia-Pacific, we are close to where you do business. MongoDB has more than 4,300 customers in over 85 countries, including more than half of the global Fortune 100. The MongoDB database platform has been downloaded over 30 million times and there have been more than 730,000 MongoDB University registrations.
Want to learn more about MongoDB? Visit MongoDB's website.
Jobs You May Like
SimilarWeb, Tel Aviv
Associate Policy Director (Immigration Specialist)
Indivisible, Washington, DC
Algolia, San Francisco
Sr. Analyst FP&A
Gametime, San Francisco, CA
Markforged, Watertown, MA
Senior Revenue Accountant
Endurance International Group, Burlington, MA