Senior Product Manager, Distributed Systems
MongoDB, New York City
MongoDB unleashes the power of software and data for innovators everywhere
The MongoDB Server Distributed Systems team’s goal is to make highly available, horizontally scalable, infrastructure agnostic, distributed databases accessible to developers and system operators. We succeed when users’ applications are easier to develop, debug, enhance, scale and maintain.
To achieve our goal, we design and build the machinery that transforms independent query processing and storage nodes into a single database management system, and we implement novel capabilities that leverage that machinery. Ongoing work includes offering stronger and more tunable consistency models, providing more configurable disaster recovery behaviors, exposing distributed write transactions, improving performance, and more.
Are you a customer advocate who is used to identifying opportunities, setting direction, and influencing releases? Are you passionate about working with users across all industries and verticals building wildly different types of applications with complex requirements?Do you act as a catalyst to help the engineering team realize the value of their work and bring out the best team performance? Are you passionate about the craft of software engineering as much as the craft of product management, patterns, and proven practices? Would you rather look at new ideas than uphold status quo? Do you want a fun job working on a collaborative team developing an open source distributed database at the very edge of modern technologies?
Join us! Let’s change what’s possible for application developers, system architects and database operators!
The right candidate will have
- A proven track record of success in product managing and delivering software solutions targeting developers or other deeply technical personae
- Skills to effectively communicate product strategy to all of the relevant stakeholders
- Systems thinking habits
- Excellent writing skills
- Solid technical skills — our users are developers, DBA's, SysAdmins, etc. Our product managers must be just as technical and have working knowledge in these areas to better advocate for our users; while not expected to write production code, you should be comfortable diving into new code, learning from existing examples, exploring APIs, triaging bugs, analyzing support cases, and speaking authoritatively on any of the technical aspects of the tools in your portfolio
- Proven success designing, developing and sustaining sophisticated components of complex software systems in large, long-lived code bases
- Decisiveness and accountability
- Curiosity, desire to learn and adapt
- Professional experience in the domains of distributed systems, databases, operating systems or other highly concurrent software a big plus
- Explore the problem space, interact with the customers, formulate the vision and maintain the roadmap for your area, keeping it aligned with the company’s strategic priorities
- Deeply understand all aspects of the business — your job is to ensure a business outcome, not just product definition!
- Communicate complex concepts in a manner that is easily understood by multiple audiences
- Define user experiences/scopes and provide necessary advocacy for them to be executed on
- Work closely with the product design and engineering teams to design, architect, implement and ship new capabilities of the database to delight users
- Balance (sometimes conflicting) priorities on a roadmap to benefit users and enable new use cases, maintain a prioritized backlog
- Advocate for our customers with passion about operational performance, predictability, and security
- Collect and analyze data that drive product decisions
- Be just as comfortable troubleshooting bugs and reviewing technical designs as they are collaborating on a marketing campaign, running a survey, or producing sales messaging.
- Collaborate with peers in product management & other disciplines to ensure alignment and common success
- In three months, you will have onboarded on the current MongoDB technologies & tools, mined and analyzed existing issues, successfully triaged new issues with the engineering team, taken ownership of the existing roadmap and the product backlog
- In six months, you will have reviewed / refined existing user stories and JIRA issues, prioritized and started executing on them with your engineering team; you will have also researched new and existing markets, identified some new trends and started their exploration in a methodical way
- In twelve months, you have produced at least one GA release, several service releases, delighted customers with new/improved experiences (you’ll need to define your metrics to measure customer success with your deliverables as well), identified new opportunities & refined your roadmap, contributed to other projects, presented to customers, user groups, and conferences, and gained strong support of your team and other stakeholders
Our Story MongoDB was founded in 2007 by Dwight Merriman, Eliot Horowitz and Kevin Ryan – the team behind DoubleClick. At the Internet advertising company DoubleClick (now owned by Google), the team developed and used many custom data stores to work around the shortcomings of existing databases. The business served 400,000 ads per second, but often struggled with both scalability and agility. Frustrated, the team was inspired to create a database that tackled the challenges it faced at DoubleClick. MongoDB is the leading modern, general purpose database platform, designed to unleash the power of software and data for developers and the applications they build. Headquartered in New York, with offices across North America, Europe, and Asia-Pacific, we are close to where you do business. MongoDB has more than 4,300 customers in over 85 countries, including more than half of the global Fortune 100. The MongoDB database platform has been downloaded over 30 million times and there have been more than 730,000 MongoDB University registrations.
Want to learn more about MongoDB? Visit MongoDB's website.
Jobs You May Like
Temp-Perm Assistant Boutique Producer
Senior Product Manager, Platform
App Annie, San Francisco
Product Management Intern - Extreme Blue (Graduate Student)
IBM, Austin (TX) and Research Triangle Park (NC)
Senior Product Designer, Core Product
Product Manager, Cardlytics Direct
Cardlytics, Cardlytics Headquarters - Ponce City Market
SEO Manager, Growth Marketing
Twitch, San Francisco, CA