Technical Services Engineer
MongoDB, New York City
MongoDB unleashes the power of software and data for innovators everywhere
MongoDB Technical Services Engineers use their exceptional problem solving and customer service skills, along with their deep technical experience, to advise customers and to solve their complex MongoDB problems. Technical Service Engineers are experts in the entire MongoDB ecosystem - database server, drivers, our management suite, and services such as Cloud Manager (the online product we developed for customers for automation, backup, monitoring, and analysis of their MongoDB systems). Our engineers combine their MongoDB expertise with passion, initiative, teamwork and a great sense of humor to achieve exceptional results for our customers.
Why MongoDB is a fantastic place to work and build your career
- Be a part of the company that’s reinventing the database, focused on innovation and speed
- Enjoy a fun, inspiring culture that is engineering focused
- Work with exceptionally talented people around the globe
- Learn, contribute, and make an impact on the product and community
Cool things you’ll do
MongoDB is on a mission to change the way people think about databases. Along the way, our customers encounter questions and issues about how our approach to databases works for their use case. In Technical Services, it's our job to help these people.
You'll be working alongside our largest customers, solving their complex issues - resolving questions on architecture, performance, recovery, security, and everything in between. You'll be an expert resource on best practices in running MongoDB at scale, whatever that scale may be. You'll be an advocate for customers' needs - interfacing with our product management and development teams on their behalf. And you'll contribute to internal projects, including software development of support tools for performance, benchmarking, and diagnostics.
What you need
We consider all candidates with an eye for those who are self taught, insatiably curious, and multi-faceted.
The ideal candidates will have strong technical experience in one (or more) of the following areas: software development, application architecture, systems administration, network administration, database administration, data architecture and design, or performance tuning and benchmarking. Extra bonus points if you’ve used those skills with highly concurrent systems or have done technical support of enterprise platform technologies (e.g. databases).
If you have an operations background, we prefer experience administering large-scale production environments, including hardware, operating systems (e.g. Linux, Windows), networks (including firewalls and load balancers), as well as cloud-based resources (e.g. AWS, Azure, OpenStack).
It’s crucial for every candidate that they can check off all of these boxes:
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Genuine desire to help people
- Uncontrollable urge to investigate and solve problems, with advanced diagnostic and troubleshooting skills
- Ability to think on your feet, remain calm under pressure, and solve problems in real-time
- Desire and ability to rapidly learn a wide variety of new technical skills
- Strong teamwork: willingness and ability to get help from team members when required, and the good judgment to know when to seek help
- Experience managing large scale databases (e.g. RDBMS, NoSQL)
- Experience using or managing MongoDB
- Technical writing and/or training
- Experience using distributed version control systems, and in particular git
- Previous work experience with JIRA and SalesForce Service Cloud
- Language skills (Japanese, Mandarin, Korean, German, Spanish, French are all plusses)
Our Story MongoDB was founded in 2007 by Dwight Merriman, Eliot Horowitz and Kevin Ryan – the team behind DoubleClick. At the Internet advertising company DoubleClick (now owned by Google), the team developed and used many custom data stores to work around the shortcomings of existing databases. The business served 400,000 ads per second, but often struggled with both scalability and agility. Frustrated, the team was inspired to create a database that tackled the challenges it faced at DoubleClick. MongoDB is the leading modern, general purpose database platform, designed to unleash the power of software and data for developers and the applications they build. Headquartered in New York, with offices across North America, Europe, and Asia-Pacific, we are close to where you do business. MongoDB has more than 4,300 customers in over 85 countries, including more than half of the global Fortune 100. The MongoDB database platform has been downloaded over 30 million times and there have been more than 730,000 MongoDB University registrations.
Want to learn more about MongoDB? Visit MongoDB's website.
Jobs You May Like
Site Reliability Engineer
Tapingo, San Francisco (flexible)
Chief Information Officer (CIO)
MCCS, Quantico, VA
Formlabs, Somerville, MA
Battery Engineer, Mechanical Design
SF Motors, Santa Clara
Full Stack Engineer (Front End focus)
ThirdLove, San Francisco, California
Samsara, San Francisco