Database Server Engineer, Query
MongoDB unleashes the power of software and data for innovators everywhere
Join the MongoDB Server Query team, and help us build a world-class open source query engine. This team is responsible for the core query optimization and query execution functionality in the database server, as well as MongoDB’s geospatial search, text search engine, and update subsystems.
We’re working on improving the system in a number of interesting ways, including evolving the MongoDB query language, making plan selection more robust, optimizing query execution across nodes in a distributed setting, and developing techniques to optimize queries for analytical or business intelligence workloads.
This team currently consists of approximately seven engineers located in New York City and we are looking to expand this team in our EMEA HQ in Dublin. We have tons of interesting problems to solve with direct impact on users working on everything from cancer research to efficiency in agriculture—so we need your help!
- Hands-on experience building industrial-strength software
- Solid computer science fundamentals, with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms, and software design/architecture
- Experience with large code bases
- Interest in the theory and practice of database query engines. Hands-on experience in the domain is a plus
- B.Sc. in Computer Science
- Candidates with an M.Sc. or Ph.D in a domain related to query execution or optimization who are strong coders may be considered without experience building industrial-strength software
- Understand and improve current functionality of the MongoDB query engine
- Identify, design, implement, test, and support new features related to query performance and robustness, query language enhancements, diagnostics for query performance problems, and integration with our business intelligence tooling
- Work with other engineers to coordinate seamless changes in a feature-rich, large code base
- Work with client drivers, cloud services, support, consulting, training, and marketing teams to coordinate changes
- In three months you’ll have contributed to the development of a project slated for the next major version, as well as fixed a few bugs in a minor version of our latest stable release series
- In six months, you’ll have taken on code review responsibilities and are involved in reviewing the design for new features
In twelve months, you’re leading the development of a new major feature and are helping to mentor new engineers on the team.
Our Story MongoDB was founded in 2007 by Dwight Merriman, Eliot Horowitz and Kevin Ryan – the team behind DoubleClick. At the Internet advertising company DoubleClick (now owned by Google), the team developed and used many custom data stores to work around the shortcomings of existing databases. The business served 400,000 ads per second, but often struggled with both scalability and agility. Frustrated, the team was inspired to create a database that tackled the challenges it faced at DoubleClick. MongoDB is the leading modern, general purpose database platform, designed to unleash the power of software and data for developers and the applications they build. Headquartered in New York, with offices across North America, Europe, and Asia-Pacific, we are close to where you do business. MongoDB has more than 4,300 customers in over 85 countries, including more than half of the global Fortune 100. The MongoDB database platform has been downloaded over 30 million times and there have been more than 730,000 MongoDB University registrations.
Want to learn more about MongoDB? Visit MongoDB's website.
Jobs You May Like
Engineering Programs Coordinator
Rubrik, Palo Alto, CA
Senior SDET, Graphics - Contractor
Magic Leap, Inc., Plantation, FL
Back End Java Developer
Anthem Engineering, Laurel, MD
Lead Information Security Software Engineer
Betterment, Betterment HQ - New York City
SendGrid, Denver, Irvine, Redwood City
Qubit, New York