Senior Software Engineer, Query
MongoDB, Remote North America, New York City, or Toronto
MongoDB unleashes the power of software and data for innovators everywhere
The database market is massive (the IDC estimates it to be $119B+ by 2025!) and MongoDB is at the head of its disruption. The MongoDB community is transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
Join the MongoDB Server Query team, and help us build a world-class distributed open source query engine. Our team plays a crucial role in the experience and performance of data processing. We are responsible for the MongoDB Query Language and the lifecycle of each query, from parsing to optimization to plan selection and finally execution. This also includes our geospatial search and update subsystems.
Our global team is growing fast. In North America, we have a presence across the US and Canada including New York, the West Coast, and Toronto. We support office-based and remote work, and align projects with convenient work hours for each time-zone.
We have tons of interesting problems to solve with direct impact on users for transactional, time-series and analytical workloads. The team is just setting out on a huge endeavor to rewrite the major components of our optimization and execution systems. We need your help to design and build the heart of a distributed, flexible schema, document database.
- 5+ years of experience in data management systems, preferably in query processing
- Hands-on experience building industrial-strength software
- Solid computer science fundamentals, with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms, and software design/architecture
- Experience with large code bases
- B.Sc. in Computer Science or similar field, or equivalent practical experience
- Interest in the theory and practice of database query engines. Hands-on experience or M.Sc./Ph.D in the domain is a plus
- Understand and improve current functionality of the MongoDB query engine
- Identify, design, implement, test, and support new features related to query performance and robustness, query language enhancements, diagnostics for query performance problems, and integration with other products and tools
- Work with other engineers to coordinate seamless changes in a feature-rich, large code base
- Work with other teams including client drivers, cloud services, enterprise tools, support, consulting, education, and marketing to coordinate changes or contribute to their projects
- Suggest new ideas towards team and project goals and work with team to achieve them
- Mentor junior team members, and work constructively with peers to deliver excellent technical solutions
- In three months you’ll have contributed to the development of a project slated for the next major version, as well as fixed a few bugs in a minor version of our latest stable release series
- In six months, you’ll have taken on code review responsibilities and are involved in reviewing the design for new features
- In twelve months, you’re leading the development of a new major feature and are helping to mentor new engineers on the team
This role can be based out of our US or Canadian offices or remotely in the North America region.
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and makes all hiring decisions without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
MongoDB was founded in 2007 by Dwight Merriman, Eliot Horowitz and Kevin Ryan – the team behind DoubleClick.
At the Internet advertising company DoubleClick (now owned by Google), the team developed and used many custom data stores to work around the shortcomings of existing databases. The business served 400,000 ads per second, but often struggled with both scalability and agility. Frustrated, the team was inspired to create a database that tackled the challenges it faced at DoubleClick.
MongoDB is the leading modern, general purpose database platform, designed to unleash the power of software and data for developers and the applications they build. Headquartered in New York, with offices across North America, Europe, and Asia-Pacific, we are close to where you do business. MongoDB has more than 4,300 customers in over 85 countries, including more than half of the global Fortune 100. The MongoDB database platform has been downloaded over 30 million times and there have been more than 730,000 MongoDB University registrations.
Want to learn more about MongoDB? Visit MongoDB's website.
Reddit is an American social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website.