Senior Software Engineer, Query
MongoDB, New York City
MongoDB unleashes the power of software and data for innovators everywhere
Join the MongoDB Server Query team, and help us build a world-class distributed open source query engine. This team is responsible for the core query optimization and query execution functionality in the database server, as well as MongoDB’s geospatial search, text search engine, and update subsystems.
We’re working on improving the system in a number of interesting ways, including evolving the MongoDB query language, making plan selection more robust, speeding up query processing across nodes in a distributed setting, and developing techniques to optimize queries for analytical or business intelligence workloads.
This team currently consists of approximately 18 engineers; 14 in New York City and 4 in Dublin, and we are looking to expand the team in our US HQ in New York. We have tons of interesting problems to solve with direct impact on users working on everything from cancer research to efficiency in agriculture - so we need your help!
- Hands-on experience building industrial-strength software
- Solid computer science fundamentals, with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms, and software design/architecture
- Experience with large code bases
- Sc. in Computer Science or similar field, or equivalent practical experience
- Interest in the theory and practice of database query engines. Hands-on experience or M.Sc./Ph.D in the domain is a plus
- Innovate in the area of flexible schema databases
- Understand and improve current functionality of the MongoDB query engine
- Identify, design, implement, test, and support new features related to query performance and robustness, query language enhancements, diagnostics for query performance problems, and integration with other products and tools
- Work with other engineers to coordinate seamless changes in a feature-rich, large code base
- Work with other teams including client drivers, cloud services, enterprise tools, support, consulting, education, and marketing to coordinate changes or contribute to their projects
- In three months you’ll have contributed to the development of a project slated for the next major version, as well as fixed a few bugs in a minor version of our latest stable release series
- In six months, you’ll have taken on code review responsibilities and are involved in reviewing the design for new features
- In twelve months, you’re leading the development of a new major feature and are helping to mentor new engineers on the team
“MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws”
MongoDB was founded in 2007 by Dwight Merriman, Eliot Horowitz and Kevin Ryan – the team behind DoubleClick.
At the Internet advertising company DoubleClick (now owned by Google), the team developed and used many custom data stores to work around the shortcomings of existing databases. The business served 400,000 ads per second, but often struggled with both scalability and agility. Frustrated, the team was inspired to create a database that tackled the challenges it faced at DoubleClick.
MongoDB is the leading modern, general purpose database platform, designed to unleash the power of software and data for developers and the applications they build. Headquartered in New York, with offices across North America, Europe, and Asia-Pacific, we are close to where you do business. MongoDB has more than 4,300 customers in over 85 countries, including more than half of the global Fortune 100. The MongoDB database platform has been downloaded over 30 million times and there have been more than 730,000 MongoDB University registrations.
Want to learn more about MongoDB? Visit MongoDB's website.
Lyft is your friend with a car, whenever you need one