Lead Engineer, Docs Platform
MongoDB, New York City
MongoDB unleashes the power of software and data for innovators everywhere
The database market is massive (the IDC estimates it to be $89B+ by 2024!) and MongoDB is at the head of its disruption. The MongoDB community is transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
Lead Engineer, Docs Platform
Our Documentation Platform team is a diverse group who develop the tooling that powers MongoDB's technical writers to write, build, and deploy documentation. The documentation platform uses Node.js and Python, and integrates with MongoDB Realm. On the infrastructure side, we use AWS, Docker, and Kubernetes, as well as Fastly, Github, and Slack.
As Lead Engineer of our Docs Platform team, you will be working on the development of the documentation platform tooling, and on supporting the career development of the engineering team. In this role, you will be expected to develop broad knowledge of all components of the documentation platform, understand the limits of the tooling, identify areas of strategic technical debt and be able to evaluate and prioritize solutions. You will also be expected to provide actionable feedback, coaching, and mentorship to your team, champion a culture of psychological safety, and coach team members on how to communicate effectively.
The ideal fit for this role will be
- Eager to learn, with a strong technical background. Able to build a confident team who can act independently, developing their skills and helping them apply their talents
- Must be able to partner and collaborate across teams and groups. Be able to align and prioritize with other teams within MongoDB
- Flexibility -- This person will be leading a small team, so they will be tackling a wide variety of responsibilities, learning as they go, and will need to be comfortable delegating
- You are an engineer with a strong penchant for writing modular, scalable, maintainable code and experience managing a team of software engineers or acting as Tech Lead for multiple concurrent projects
- You have a proven track record of leading complex architecture and infrastructure projects
- You are comfortable writing functional specifications / scope documents and planning and executing major features in parallel
- You know when and how to delegate responsibilities to your team
- You have experience working with cloud platforms (AWS) and are able to support team members as they grow their AWS knowledge
- You have experience with analytics integrations and methodology and are excited about ways to measure the impact that your team is having on the organization
- You are familiar with working in an Agile environment and cross-collaborating with Product Management, Product Design, and other teams
- You are comfortable estimating task complexity, reporting progress, and voicing risks for projects executed by your team
- You are excited to grow your team and support them in their career goals
Within 2 months
- Familiarize yourself with our codebase, our development practices, our tools, and processes
- You have a sense of the scope of the challenges to come and a high level strategy for how to approach these challenges
- Participate in code reviews
- You've met with all of your team members and are starting to learn their interests, strengths, and areas for development
Within 6 months
- You are leading architecture discussions and software design efforts
- You have written a technical spec and planned the work involved in a major new feature
- You have worked with each team member to develop a growth plan tailored to their career goals
Within 12 months
- You’ve developed and shipped a project from concept to production
- You have a clear understanding of the longer term roadmap and have integrated a plan to meet them with your team at MongoDB
- You have established your role as a leader in the organization such that team members naturally go to you for guidance
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
MongoDB was founded in 2007 by Dwight Merriman, Eliot Horowitz and Kevin Ryan – the team behind DoubleClick.
At the Internet advertising company DoubleClick (now owned by Google), the team developed and used many custom data stores to work around the shortcomings of existing databases. The business served 400,000 ads per second, but often struggled with both scalability and agility. Frustrated, the team was inspired to create a database that tackled the challenges it faced at DoubleClick.
MongoDB is the leading modern, general purpose database platform, designed to unleash the power of software and data for developers and the applications they build. Headquartered in New York, with offices across North America, Europe, and Asia-Pacific, we are close to where you do business. MongoDB has more than 4,300 customers in over 85 countries, including more than half of the global Fortune 100. The MongoDB database platform has been downloaded over 30 million times and there have been more than 730,000 MongoDB University registrations.
Want to learn more about MongoDB? Visit MongoDB's website.
Palantir builds software that connects data, technologies, humans and environments.