At Monzo, our mission is to make money work for everyone: to make our customers effortlessly financially savvy with smart features, unexpectedly friendly service, and a relentless focus on what people genuinely want and need. Our net promoter score is more than 2x that of other banks, and we are the fastest-growing bank in the UK. Monzo better resembles a fast-paced tech startup than a traditional bank – we move fast, ship things every day, and develop products iteratively. But we are also very serious about the safety of our customers’ money and their trust in us, and we believe this starts with our internal culture. We default to transparency both internally and externally, and we involve our community in everything we do. We prize a diverse team as a strength: everyone is welcome at Monzo and is encouraged to do the best work of their lives.
Our payments team is growing and we’re looking for a VP Payments/Head of Payments to fully lead the development and execution of a world-class Payment Operations team and manage the strategic roadmap for payments as a product, initially in our UK banking operation. You will report directly to the CFO and lead our team to partner with product leadership and ensure tight product development and a disciplined approach to working with external partners. Your cross-functional team will be responsible for setting the strategic direction for payments and delivering that vision through a world class operation. Your team will partner with internal and external stakeholders to ensure a seamless user experience and ensure we consistently exceed both customer and regulatory expectations.
How you’ll contribute:
- Leading product development, strategy, go to market, and daily operations for Monzo’s UK payments products and partner integrations, with a focus on revenue growth
- Coordinating and managing product development and management process under tight timelines and across various teams within and outside of the organisation
- Overseeing risk management and compliance functions to ensure compliance and minimise losses
- Managing relationships with participants of the payment chain to ensure delivery of Monzo’s program and that required reporting obligations are met
- Driving the payment process across internal and external stakeholders to ensure Monzo has the necessary information required to build out a resilient payment infrastructure
- Build out and train the Payment Operations team, fostering operational excellence and a data driven culture
- Managing our response to incidents and triaging the incident process
Own the physical card manufacturing process to deliver world-class cards to our customers
You should apply if you:
- Are deeply familiar with the economics of payments and what drives profits and losses—and can speak in specifics to underwriting/risk management techniques, optimising interchange fees, and compliance.
- Have strong experience and foundation in product development, product management, and payments (at online payment companies, card networks, banks, etc., or a similar environment).
- Have a proven record in developing complex long-term product roadmaps, and executing them across various divisions within an organisation.
- Have experience of managing external vendors and the processes that connect each participant and a consistent record of negotiating and implementing complex deals with vendor organisations
- Are disciplined, detail oriented and obsessed with understanding every piece of a process
- Have experience of leading and building payments operations teams within a payment company, card network or bank
- Has experience working cross-functionally with legal, engineering, marketing, and finance teams.
- Familiar with how technical systems work, with an ability to frame messages appropriately to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Are a collaborative, strategic problem solver that loves project management and working hard toward a deadline
- Are highly self-motivated, able to work and lead with significant autonomy
- Are comfortable working in a fast-moving, ambiguous and changing company
At Monzo, we’re building a new kind of bank. One that lives on your smartphone, and that’s built for the way we live today. By solving your problems, treating you fairly and being totally transparent, we believe that we can make banking better. Since we started in February 2015, we’ve been busy building the best current account in the world. We received our full UK banking licence from the FCA and PRA in April 2017, and are now working hard to roll current accounts out to everyone in the UK. Download the app today to join the 400,000 customers using our hot coral cards to manage their money and spend around the world.