At Monzo, we want to make money work for everyone. As we grow in customers, product lines and countries, we are looking for people to help ensure that we are always building to handle scale.
As the Risk and Compliance Lead, you will use your extensive financial background and deep knowledge of regulation and will work directly with the lending team on all things governance, compliance and risk related and their associated controls.
Our Chief Credit Officer and squads working on different lending products will turn to you for guidance on how to ensure we are not only compliant with regulations, but fostering a culture of rigorous thinking and careful controls that distinguish us in both banking and technology. You will be responsible for ensuring Lending runs a best in class operation and represent Monzo before our Board and external reviewers.
To succeed, you should be able to navigate the regulatory landscape, use data to shape your thinking and collaborate to build something bigger than yourself. You will be asked to weigh in on foundational questions about the sort of company that we grow to become, while meeting’s today’s needs. We'd want you to apply if you are underwhelmed by the status quo of banking and finance today and are interested in bringing your critical mind and grit to creating a better alternative.
You should apply if you:
- Have a strong grasp of current regulations relating to lending in the UK (including the FCA handbook, the Consumer Credit Act and experience in handling financial promotions)
- Have experience dealing with credit risk, ideally including IFRS9
- You have had experience managing operational risk
- Are excited about helping Monzo scale in a compliant, thoughtful and controlled way
- Would like to immerse yourself in parts of our work that deal with complexity so that we can keep our product simple - e.g. technology infrastructure, lending decision science and customer operations
- Are able to meet people where they are at and become a bridge between internal teams and represent Monzo before auditors, regulators and our board.
- Are excited by creating a culture of intellectual rigour.
- Have excellent project management and organisational skills.
The following experience would be valued:
- Work in risk, compliance, regulatory or governance in a financial firm; as an auditor; a regulator or in another highly regulated industry.
- An understanding of the requirements of SMF roles.
- Work in a start-up environment or a technology company.
- Setting up policies and procedures and leading on policy reviews and assurance.
Above all, we are looking for people that are humble but excited by what we are doing at Monzo.
At Monzo, we’re building a new kind of bank. One that lives on your smartphone, and that’s built for the way we live today. By solving your problems, treating you fairly and being totally transparent, we believe that we can make banking better. Since we started in February 2015, we’ve been busy building the best current account in the world. We received our full UK banking licence from the FCA and PRA in April 2017, and are now working hard to roll current accounts out to everyone in the UK. Download the app today to join the 400,000 customers using our hot coral cards to manage their money and spend around the world.