At Monzo, our mission is to make money work for everyone: to make our customers effortlessly financially savvy with smart features, unexpectedly friendly service, and a relentless focus on what people genuinely want and need from a bank. Our net promoter score is more than 2x that of other banks, and we are the fastest-growing bank in the UK. Monzo better resembles a fast-paced tech startup than a traditional bank – we move fast, ship new things every day, and develop products iteratively. But we are also very serious about the safety of our customers’ money and their trust in us, and we believe this starts with our internal culture. We default to transparency both internally and externally, and we involve our community in everything we do. We prize a diverse team as a strength: everyone is welcome at Monzo and we're working hard to empower them to do the best work of their lives.
At Monzo the effective application of technology is a significant competitive advantage. We strongly believe in autonomous multi-disciplinary teams, organising smart people from different backgrounds around problems and empowering our business areas with technical capabilities to achieve outcomes for our customers that others can't.
We're looking for an experienced Engineering Director to join with the following responsibilities:
- Manage a group of Engineering Managers and Technical Leads. You'll provide them with world-class management support and supercharge their personal development.
- Be accountable for the technical strategy for your area. You'll work on this with the Staff/Principal engineers and Technical Leads in your team and from other areas of the business.
- Create high-performing teams. You'll be responsible for building effective teams that can deliver consistently. You'll help them balance a high-impact ship-and-iterate approach whilst ensuring our systems are robust, reliable and compliant.
- Be accountable for the technical governance for area You'll work closely with our Risk and Compliance teams to appropriately assess and triage risks and manage audits from start to finish.
- Partner with other senior leaders. You'll work with directors, VPs and executives from other disciplines to ensure we're achieving our goals in your area and as a company.
You should apply if:
- You are excited by what Monzo is doing!
- You have experience leading engineering organisations of 30+ people.
- You have a track record of supporting and developing people - both managers and senior individual contributors (e.g. staff, principal engineers, architects).
- You're great at building strong, effective relationships with people from different disciplines.
- You lead through influence and build autonomous organisations that repeatedly deliver results.
- You have a track record of attracting, hiring and retaining top engineering talent.
- You have successfully lead high-performing multi-disciplinary teams.
Nice to have:
- You have experience in a regulated environment, or the finance industry.
If you’re unsure about applying or have any questions about the role or team, please don’t hesitate to email [email protected].
We're very open about what we do in general, so our blog is a good place to learn more.
The interview process consists of a 30 min recruiter call, 45-60 minute video call, followed by 3 hours of technical, management and leadership interviews over video call. Sometimes, we arrange a follow-up interview to discuss the feedback before making a final decision.
We encourage an open and transparent working environment. You can contribute ideas to and ask questions of any aspect of the business you are interested in and, following Stripe’s example, all emails in the company are visible in an email archive. We regularly run hackathons in which people build things on our third party API and we contribute to open source software as much as possible. We’ve also made our product roadmap public and give sneak peeks of features in our community forum.
Diversity and inclusion is a priority for us – if we want to solve problems for people around the world, our team has to represent our customers. So we need to attract the best talent and create an environment that supports and includes them. You can read more about diversity and inclusion on our blog.If you prefer to work part-time, from home or as a job-share, we'll make this happen whenever we can - whether this is to help you meet other commitments or strike a great work-life balance.
We offer competitive salaries based on skills and experience, which could be anywhere between £115,000 - £145,000 per year.
At Monzo, we’re building a new kind of bank. One that lives on your smartphone, and that’s built for the way we live today. By solving your problems, treating you fairly and being totally transparent, we believe that we can make banking better. Since we started in February 2015, we’ve been busy building the best current account in the world. We received our full UK banking licence from the FCA and PRA in April 2017, and are now working hard to roll current accounts out to everyone in the UK. Download the app today to join the 400,000 customers using our hot coral cards to manage their money and spend around the world.
Want to learn more about Monzo? Visit Monzo's website.
Reddit is an American social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website.