We’re looking for Senior Product Designers to lead design in teams working on our core personal and business banking products. Whichever team you join, the impact and remit of this role is huge.
The Monzo current account is a daily part of life for more than 4 million people already, and your work here will shape the way that people interact with their finances in brand new ways.
Our business bank account is an earlier-stage product that was launched just this spring across Android, iOS and web. We now have a highly engaged and fast-growing user base of businesses, and we're building and iterating rapidly.
We care deeply about inclusive working practices and diverse teams. We’re keen to ensure we’re designing a bank that works for everyone, so we particularly encourage applications from different underrepresented demographics.
What you’ll do everyday
- You’ll lead design for a product area. This includes driving the future vision of this area, making sure it compliments a cohesive overall Monzo experience, and delivering on incremental steps to help the team head in this direction.
- You’ll be embedded in a cross-functional product squad. You’ll be responsible for all design artefacts produced; from initial discovery and user journey mapping through to the execution of final UI design details.
- You’ll deeply understand the customers you’re designing for. Whether it’s joining user research sessions, learning from previous insights, reading data reports or running your own lightweight research and analysis, you’ll strive to understand the what, why and how of the problems you’re solving for to ensure we don’t just ship the thing right, but we ship the right thing.
- You’ll collaborate regularly using strong communication, documentation and facilitation skills. You’ll work closely with PMs, Engineers, Data scientists, User researchers and Writers to make sure your team isn’t just shipping great designs, but they are deeply involved throughout the design process.
- You’ll execute (and advocate for) polished, intuitive and accessible user experiences. You’re pragmatic and able to balance the ideal experience with knowing where and when to make scoping trade-offs based on technical constraints, experimentation strategy or business risk.
- You’ll help raise the bar for design at Monzo. We’re a small but mighty team where every designer plays a critical role in improving our community of practice—whether that’s through improving our craft skills to leading rituals to giving great feedback.
- You’ll regularly work with a design director and product leadership. This is to help make sure long-term strategy, business goals and experience quality are all in alignment and that there are healthy opportunities for visibility and feedback.
Projects you could work on
- Our core banking features such as budgeting for Monzo's iPhone and Android apps. Visibility and control of money across multiple accounts: we want Monzo to be the financial hub of your life, and something this ambitious requires a lot of good design.
- Taking our new Monzo Plus account to the next level and creating valuable and desirable new premium features for our customers.
- Core features for our new business banking apps across Android, iOS and web. More on our transparent roadmap for business accounts.
You should apply if
- You’ve led the design of world-class product launches in a fast-growing company before.
- You understand that good design is not about trends but is built on top of principles and tradeoffs. You make well-reasoned design decisions always advocating for the best possible user experience.
- You’re passionate about inclusive design and accessibility, and you’ll design with all our users in mind.
- You care about the UI design details but are also comfortable zooming out, seeing the broader picture and connecting the dots to create a cohesive overall experience.
- You’re passionate about sharing your knowledge, and raising the bar for design practice at Monzo. Previous experience mentoring designers is a big plus.
- You understand that writing is designing, you're a confident writer, and the copy in your screens is never an afterthought.
This isn’t for you if
- You’ve not worked as part of an in-house product development team to launch a consumer-facing product or feature before. We know there are many great designers in agencies and consultancies, but due to the seniority of this role, we require strong experience embedded as a key member of a product development team.
- You want to focus on people management. While mentoring other designers and levelling up the team is an expectation at this level, the initial scope of the role will focus on being an individual contributor. Things change quickly at Monzo though so there could be future people management opportunities if you’re interested in this path.
- You need top-down direction. We operate extremely autonomously so you’ll be expected to determine the highest impact areas to work on, collaborating with your product squad and manager to ensure there’s alignment here.
Salary and location particulars
- We explain salary bands as part of our initial calls. We want to be able to have a dialogue with candidates about what we pay and why, and answer any questions they have in the moment. See more details on our benefits package here.
- Once lockdown lifts 🤞 we hope to spend time, regularly working together in our London office. While we’re open to flexible working arrangements we require candidates be able to commit to spending at least one day working from the office every week.
At Monzo, we’re building a new kind of bank. One that lives on your smartphone, and that’s built for the way we live today. By solving your problems, treating you fairly and being totally transparent, we believe that we can make banking better. Since we started in February 2015, we’ve been busy building the best current account in the world. We received our full UK banking licence from the FCA and PRA in April 2017, and are now working hard to roll current accounts out to everyone in the UK. Download the app today to join the 400,000 customers using our hot coral cards to manage their money and spend around the world.
Want to learn more about Monzo? Visit Monzo's website.
Reddit is an American social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website.
Jobs You May Like
Senior UX/UI Designer
Brand Knew, Los Angeles