We’re looking for a Senior Infrastructure Engineer (Security) to ensure that Monzo’s platform and core infrastructure is safe and secure by design.
You’ll help us with the following questions and challenges:
- Securing our critical infrastructure, such as Kubernetes, Cassandra, Kafka, and the AWS services, Data Centres and networks they rely on;
- Providing and managing the foundational infrastructure for other Security and Platform Engineering squads to build upon;
- Managing our secrets, keys and certificates to ensure our systems are airtight;
- Automating access control and permissioning for our cloud infrastructure.
Here are some of the projects the team have worked on in the past:
- Controlling outbound traffic from Kubernetes
- Building our secret management platform
- Building network isolation for 1,500 services
You’ll be responsible for:
- Ensuring that our cloud infrastructure and physical data centres are secure;
- Building a deep understanding of the security of key technologies such as Vault, Kubernetes, Cassandra, Teleport and AWS and how we can improve them;
- Performing threat modelling to mitigate the most important attack vectors against our infrastructure.
Monzo’s security team has a wide range of responsibilities. As a bank, we are solving diverse, novel problems to ensure that our customers and their data are secure.
One of the guiding principles of security at Monzo is that security at the expense of user experience is a last resort. We aim to move mountains in the background so that we can build world-class features without compromising on security.
As a Security Engineer you’d be able to work directly with lots of teams across the company, and we run regular knowledge-sharing sessions so you’ll learn heaps about everything; from how banks work to effective communication and the technologies we use.
You should apply if
- You have experience in software engineering (we use Go, but we're open to all backgrounds) and you're excited about solving large-scale infrastructure security problems.
- You’re comfortable securing cloud-based environments and networks, and wrangling with code at this level of abstraction.
- You’re passionate about security and understand best practices.
- You’re constantly looking for flaws in systems and can reason about how best to address them.
Salary ranges between £90,000 - £116,000 plus stock options and other benefits.
We can help you relocate to London & we can sponsor visas.
This role can be based in our London office, but we're open to distributed working.
We have payroll set up in four countries: the UK, Ireland, and France. Right now, we can only hire people who work from those countries and we’ll keep this updated with new ones as we expand and are able to hire from more places 🌎
We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
Diversity and inclusion is a priority for us – if we want to solve problems for people around the world, our team has to represent our customers. So we need to attract the best talent and create an environment that supports and includes them. You can read more about diversity and inclusion on our blog.
If you prefer to work part-time, we'll make this happen whenever we can - whether this is to help you meet other commitments or strike a great work-life balance.
Our interview process is normally a phone interview, a coding task and call to discuss it, and 2-3 hours of onsite interviews that can be conducted via hangouts as well. We promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions. We might design a system together on a whiteboard, the same way we often work together, but we won’t make you write code on one.
Equal Opportunity Statement
At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.
What is Monzo about?
We’re a bank on a mission to make money work for everyone. By focusing on solving real problems rather than selling financial products, treating people fairly and being totally transparent, we believe we can make banking better.
Monzo started in 2015 with big plans and a little office in Shoreditch, London. Now we’re a fully-licensed bank with millions of customers in the UK, and well over a thousand employees around the world.
At Monzo, we’re building a new kind of bank. One that lives on your smartphone, and that’s built for the way we live today. By solving your problems, treating you fairly and being totally transparent, we believe that we can make banking better. Since we started in February 2015, we’ve been busy building the best current account in the world. We received our full UK banking licence from the FCA and PRA in April 2017, and are now working hard to roll current accounts out to everyone in the UK. Download the app today to join the 400,000 customers using our hot coral cards to manage their money and spend around the world.
Want to learn more about Monzo? Visit Monzo's website.
Help the world share their story