We're looking for an Engineering Manager to lead, with a TPM, our Data Platform team.
Our Data team's mission is to Enable Monzo to Make Better Decisions, Faster and at the core of this mission sits our data platform. We have a strong culture of data-driven decision making across the whole company. And we're great believers in powerful, real-time analytics and empowerment of the wider business.
At Monzo, we're building a bank that is fair, transparent and a delight to use. We’re growing extremely fast and have close to five million customers in the UK, with over 100,000 new people joining every month. We’ve built a product that people love and more than 80% of our growth comes from word of mouth and referrals.
For Data engineering, the immediate challenge will be building up a team with both existing Monzonauts and new starters and establishing the ways of working that will lead to good long term outcomes.
You’ll spend your time:
- Supporting, mentoring and developing high performing engineers through regular 1:1s, continuous feedback and relationships with team leads.
- Working with fellow engineering managers and other leaders across the collective to ensure a high-performing team that consistently and iteratively delivers high-impact, high-quality work.
- Contributing to your team's strategy and helping your team set a long term roadmap. You’ll also help with defining, planning, and driving large-scale programmes of work from start to finish.
- Collaborating with engineers in your teams to break down large programmes into deliverable projects.
You should apply if:
- You have experience managing or mentoring the performance and development of high-performing engineers.
- You know what good looks like for a high-performing team of engineers and know how to get there.
- You have previously worked as a software engineer at a senior level, ideally in the data engineering domain.
- You have an empathetic leadership style and you build strong, effective relationships.
- You care deeply about helping others achieve their goals, and become the best engineers they can be.
The interview process consists of a 30 min recruiter call, 45-60 minute video call, followed by 3 hours of technical, management and leadership interviews over video call. Sometimes, we arrange a follow-up interview to discuss the feedback before making a final decision.
We encourage an open and transparent working environment. You can contribute ideas to and ask questions of any aspect of the business you are interested in and, following Stripe’s example, all emails in the company are visible in an email archive. We regularly run hackathons in which people build things on our third party API and we contribute to open source software as much as possible.
Diversity and inclusion is a priority for us – if we want to solve problems for people around the world, our team has to represent our customers. So we need to attract the best talent and create an environment that supports and includes them. You can read more about diversity and inclusion on our blog. If you prefer to work part-time, from home or as a job-share, we'll make this happen whenever we can - whether this is to help you meet other commitments or strike a great work-life balance.
We offer competitive salaries based on skills and experience, which could be anywhere between £70,000 - £100,000 per year.
At Monzo, we’re building a new kind of bank. One that lives on your smartphone, and that’s built for the way we live today. By solving your problems, treating you fairly and being totally transparent, we believe that we can make banking better. Since we started in February 2015, we’ve been busy building the best current account in the world. We received our full UK banking licence from the FCA and PRA in April 2017, and are now working hard to roll current accounts out to everyone in the UK. Download the app today to join the 400,000 customers using our hot coral cards to manage their money and spend around the world.
Want to learn more about Monzo? Visit Monzo's website.
Software that predicts technology trends.