Nava is at the forefront of reimagining how our government serves its people, and we’re looking for experienced software engineers to help drive this mission forward.
You will work on a cross-functional team to build scalable digital services for our government – designing, implementing, and delivering software that is depended on by millions of Americans. You care deeply about working on technology that affects people’s lives, and are passionate about building large-scale systems that are well-designed, fast, scalable, and secure.
Below are some of the traits of candidates who will likely be successful in this role. If you're excited about this opportunity but don't think you meet all the requirements, apply anyway!
Opportunities and Challenges
We’re looking for talented engineers to solve technical challenges across the stack, including those who lean more towards front-end or back-end development. Working together, our engineering team presents end-to-end solutions that will be used by millions of Americans every day.
On the front end:
You will be working to create modern, human-centered interfaces for government services. By finding innovative answers to decades old problems you’ll make these vital services more accessible to Americans from all walks of life. If you believe that government interfaces, websites, and applications can be simple, effective, and easy to use, this is the place for you.
On the back end:
You will build new systems with modern technology within the existing ecosystem of legacy government systems. Our work is to build functional, resilient software for production so that vital services are consistently available to those who need them. This usually means getting to know legacy systems and determining how to replicate the systems' behavior or how to integrate with these systems. If you care deeply about how software systems work over time, and building systems for longevity and resilience, this work is for you.
You will be working within the government ecosystem, which means working, sometimes closely, with other government contractors and civil servants. Working with people outside of your company means you'll likely encounter different working styles and cultural norms. At the same time, working as part of a larger team allows us to deliver on projects of larger scale and complexity.
The government also imposes a level of bureaucracy that is typically not present in a company of our size in the private sector. We operate in a regulated environment, where checks and compliance is built into the process of building software. This can make the path to production slower and some decisions, such as tools and processes, lie outside of our control. However, beyond writing code, finding and recommending ways to improve the way government software is built is one of the highest-leverage ways we help fulfill our mission.
What you'll do:
- Work with fellow Nava engineers to design, review, and build well-crafted software.
- Collaborate with government partners and other contractors to architect, implement, and deploy new systems and improvements to existing systems.
- Work in an agile manner to efficiently ship new features that meet user needs.
- Create tools and processes to automate our development, testing, and production workflows.
- Participate in an on-call rotation to support production systems and investigate issues when they occur.
- Take part in hiring activities (e.g., submitting referrals, conducting interviews, and attending interview debriefs), as needed.
What we're looking for:
- Meaningful experience working on web-based systems, both front-end and back-end
- Experience working on large-scale applications and systems.
- An adaptive, empathetic, collaborative and positive mindset.
- Ability to think holistically around engineering issues.
- Knowledge of engineering fundamentals and architecture.
- Expertise developing well-crafted software.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, technical and otherwise.
- Experience with modern web development frameworks.
- Experience designing and implementing application architectures and code that is highly scalable, available, and performant.
- Self-directed, requiring minimal supervision.
- Experience: Minimum of 4 years
- Residency: Lived in United States at least 3 years out of the last 5 years
- Education: Due to contractual requirements, this role requires a Bachelor's Degree (in any discipline) or 4 years of experience in lieu of a degree.
- You will be required to obtain a public trust clearance.
- Travel: Occasional travel to government partner offices or Nava offices in SF, DC, or NY may be required on a project to project basis.
Things that are not important to us:
- Whether or not you have a CS or engineering degree.
- Whether or not you have Github contributions. (It's great if you do, but we don't expect it.)
- Whether or not you have worked at a well-recognized company.
Compensation Range: $107,000 - $150,000
Remote states Nava is actively hiring in: Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, DC, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Washington.
** If you are not living in one of the states listed above, unfortunately, you will not be considered for a position at this time.
- Lived in United States at least 3 years out of the last 5 years
- Able to attain and maintain Public Trust clearance or higher (An active green card or citizenship is required).
Perks working with NAVA
- 20 days of PTO accrued, 13 days paid federal holidays, 5 floating holidays, unlimited sick leave.
- NAVA covers 90% of medical premiums and 100% of vision and dental premiums for their employees.
- 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave and weekly meal deliveries during leave.
- 401k contributions match at 4% of your salary.
- Flexible work arrangements.
- $1000 new home office set up budget and monthly phone allowance.
- $2,000 annual tuition and professional development budget.
- Equity stock options.
- Employee referral program.
- Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance.
- Life and Accidental Death.
- Diverse, inclusive, highly collaborative, and vibrant culture fostering remote work!
Remote or from one of Nava’s offices in DC or SF.
Remote work locations: Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, DC, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, Washington.
*If you are not living in one of the states listed above, unfortunately, you will not be considered for a position at this time.
We're a small team working to radically improve our government, so everyone that joins us has a direct impact on the direction and success of Nava. We are stewards – we hold a deep responsibility towards the systems that we work with. We are a community – we value collaboration both within our teams and with the many hardworking people within government. We offer generous benefits and equity.
Nava PBC equal opportunity employer that is deeply committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, age, gender, religious or political beliefs, national origin or heritage, marital status, disability, sex, sexual orientation or gender identity, genetic information, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran or any characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion not only reflects our values as a public benefit corporation but also enriches our ability to do our work. Learn more about where we are today and hope to be by 2025.
Please contact the recruiting team at [email protected] if you would like to request reasonable accommodation during the application or interviewing process.
We participate in E-Verify. Upon hire, we will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. This role is required to work from the contiguous United States.