Manager Network Engineer
NBCUniversal, Englewood Cliffs, NJ
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.
NBCUniversal’s Distribution Engineering group within the Operations & Technology organization has an opening for an east coast based Manager of Network Engineering. This role will be filled by a Network professional to manage plan, build, and support of the most cutting-edge network infrastructure in the business.
Job Purpose / Candidate Requirements
The NBCUniversal Network Engineering team is looking to fill a manager position that includes responsibility for a regional team of network engineers located in Englewood Cliffs, NJ and 30 Rock in NYC. This team is responsible for the distribution and production engineering environments that create and distribute NBCUniversal’s content worldwide. The selected candidate will own and implement large technical projects, perform day to day operational tasks, distribute project tasks and maintain project timelines, receive escalation requests and act as subject matter expert within their regional space. This role will report directly into the Director of Systems Architecture and will work closely with operational counterparts and key business representatives. The candidate will also partner closely with NBCUniversal’s Corporate IT organization management to ensure standardized practices, platforms and systems are utilized whenever possible.
Potential candidates must possess a range of the following skills:
- Demonstrate experience to successfully lead a small team
- Proven ability to execute and manage projects from design inception to delivery
- Receive escalations from business owners for operational incident resolution or project delivery
- Create and own new process for team
- Lead communication with business partners for new project efforts and responsible to consolidate project updates assigned to local engineers
- Deliver metric reporting on infrastructure requests, projects, utilization trending, outage remediation and SLA infringement
- Own local hardware sparing and end-of-life inventory
- Maintain On-Call engineer rotation schedule
- Tier 3 Escalation for regional engineers and subject matter expert for Broadcast Network Engineering technology stack
- Extensive knowledge and experience of Core Routing and Switching design, configuration, and troubleshooting
- Ensures network security best practices are intergraded into the entire infrastructure
- Knowledge of networking best practices in:
- Routing protocols OSPF, EIGRP, BGP
- Spanning-tree, VTP, Port Channels, Load balancing, SPAN
- Multicast PIM Sparse/Dense, MSDP
- Traditional WAN connectivity including T1/T3, OC48
- Segment Routing
- MPLS traffic engineering design, configuration, and troubleshooting
- LDP - Label distribution
- MPBGP-VPNv4, Multi-VRF and VRF-Lite
- Quality of Service (QoS) understanding and configuration, able to customize across all Cisco platforms to support Video, and selected applications
- Proficient in VPN technology - site to site, client, IPSEC (including the protocol suite), IKE, tunnel modes, SSL clientless / AnyConnect, Tunnels between ASAs, Routers
- Extensive experience and strong technical skills including the design, configuration, and tuning of Cisco, Juniper, and Palo Alto firewalls
- Extensive experience and expertise of F5 Load Balancers, GTM and LTM’s
- Evaluate and provide recommendations of overall network requirements for performance, availability, utilization and reliability
- Design, implement and tune TCP/IP network stack across various operating systems
Broadcast Network Engineering Technology Stack:
- Extensive knowledge of datacenter design and implementation utilizing the full suite of Cisco Nexus 7000 & 9000 product line and NXOS platforms.
- Proven expertise in implementation and support for Cisco ASR 9000 and IOS-XR platform
- Proven expertise in Cisco IOS based switching and routing products
- Experience in application and WAN optimization appliance design and configuration
- Experience designing, implementing and supporting F5 LTM/GTM infrastructure
- Experience in the design and implementation of data and/or video network infrastructures for implementing complex projects (any “first time” builds)
- Proven experience in core and internet DMZ (External Facing) infrastructures, including acceptance testing and operational support of new hardware and software
- Proven experience in Tier 2 / Tier 3 troubleshooting
- Experience designing and deploying necessary networking governance controls to insure the network meets or exceeds service levels
- Experience mentoring team members, fostering knowledge growth and collaboration
- Proven team player, must be comfortable in a team setting as well as acting as an individual contributor
- Scripting and API experience in Python and RestAPI
- Cisco certification and other network vendor certification (Juniper, Palo Alto, Arista, etc…)
•B.S. degree in Information Technology, Computer Engineering or equivalent experience
•Minimum 5-years’ experience leading complex project builds with proven performance to achieve on-time completion of projects
•Demonstrated successful design, planning and implementation of wide and local area network architecture, including troubleshooting and capacity planning
•Expertise working on a team with motivated cross functional individuals focused on a common goal of delivering cutting edge solutions to meet aggressive business demands in an ever changing environment to achieve on-time and on budget completion of projects
•Strong communication skills
•Solid documentation experience with Visio, Word, Excel
•Ambitious and goal oriented, with initiative to work until job is complete
•Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV online to be considered
•Must be willing to take drug test and submit to a background investigation
•Must be covered by Solutions, NBCUniversal's Alternative Dispute Resolution Program
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU.
Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
Be a Better NBCUniversal Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at NBCUniversal when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about NBCUniversal? Visit NBCUniversal's website.
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.