NBCUniversal, Englewood Cliffs, NJ
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.
NBCUniversal is one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience. NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, and world-renowned theme parks. NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
NBCUniversal’s Distribution Engineering group within the Operations & Technology organization has an opening for an east coast based DevOps Architect. This role will be filled by a professional to manage the software development process and create an automated delivery pipeline that assists in building software more efficiently. Responsibilities include assessing, supporting, and implementing high-quality Information Technology architecture.
Job Purpose / Candidate Requirements
The candidate will be responsible for the architecture of on/off-prem application and service solutions that are deployed using DevOps tools and principles with an emphasis on high reliability. Solutions may include internally developed software as well as 3rd party software.
The candidate will work with a team of passionate engineers and developers who strive to demonstrate continued excellence in the field of DevOps and automation. This team is responsible for the distribution and production engineering environments that create and distribute NBCUniversal’s content worldwide.
This role will report directly into the Director of Systems Architecture and will work closely with operational counterparts and key business representatives. The candidate will also partner with NBCUniversal’s Enterprise IT organization management to ensure standardized practices, platforms and systems are utilized whenever possible.
The ability to quickly understand requirements, build conceptuals to explain the proposed solution, and working to oversee the build of working prototypes is key to the role. The ability to code, configure tools, and assemble and integrate technology across disparate platforms is critical to success.
Potential candidates must possess a range of the following skills:
- 3+ years of experience creating functional design specifications, reference architectures, patterns, decision trees
- 5+ years of experience working in AWS, with direct experience writing Terraform or Cloud Formation scripts, deploying and administering AWS services including but not exclusive of cloud storage (S3, EBS, EFS, Glacier), messaging and queuing (SQS, SNS), Lambda functions, compute (EC2, ECS), network services (Route53, VPC, WAF), and database services (RDS, Aurora, DynamoDB)
- 5+ years of experience working with containers, including Docker and Kubernetes
- 5+ years of experience with CI/CD tools (Jenkins, CircleCI, Bamboo) and code/binary repositories (Bitbucket, Git, Artifactory, Nexus) as part of the CI/CD pipeline
- 3+ years of experience with application and container instrumentation using APM tools such as New Relic, Sysdig, App Dynamics, and DynaTrace
- 5+ years of demonstrated experience with Python, Groovy, Ruby, and Bash
- 5+ years of Linux/Unix administration experience
- 5+ years of experience with Java application servers (Jetty, Jboss, Tomcat, Websphere)
- 5+ years of experience with HTTP servers (Apache, Nginx, IIS)
- 5+ years of experience with automation/configuration management using either Chef, Ansible, Puppet, or an equivalent
- Strong knowledge in open source technologies (Redis, MySQL, Jenkins, etc)
- Exhibit a deep understanding of 3 tier web architecture
- Strong experience in designing and building automated code deployment systems that simplify development work, making it consistent and predictable. The engineer will be responsible for orchestrating environment and application deployments from the OS all through the application layers of a solution, using tools such as Terraform, Jenkins, Docker, Bitbucket, and many others
- Ability to create automated tests that easily plug into our automated code pipeline
- Ability to provide deep and detailed levels of monitoring across all levels of the application
- Demonstrated interest and awareness of current and future infrastructure trends
- Strong knowledge about networking and security (TCP/IP, IPSec, VPC)
- Must be a continuous learner and a critical thinker
- Demonstrated knowledge of best practices and IT operations in an always-up, always-available service
•B.S. degree in Information Technology, Computer Engineering or equivalent experience
•Minimum 5-years’ experience leading complex project builds with proven performance to achieve on-time completion of projects
•Demonstrated successful design, planning and implementation of highly reliable solutions, including troubleshooting and capacity planning
•Expertise working on a team with motivated cross functional individuals focused on a common goal of delivering cutting edge solutions to meet aggressive business demands in an ever-changing environment to achieve on-time and on budget completion of projects
•Strong communication skills
•Solid documentation experience with Visio, Word, Excel
•Ambitious and goal oriented, with initiative to work until job is complete
•Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV online to be considered
•Must be willing to take drug test and submit to a background investigation
•Must be covered by Solutions, NBCUniversal's Alternative Dispute Resolution Program
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU.
Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
Be a Better NBCUniversal Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at NBCUniversal when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about NBCUniversal? Visit NBCUniversal's website.
Minimalist makeup and skincare