Principal, Data Engineer
NBCUniversal, New York, NY
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.
You’re a big thinker who can analyze and evangelize a long-range opportunity, architect a groundbreaking solution, and roll-up your sleeves to get code out the door when needed. You are data-driven and analytical. You understand the concept of a value proposition and evaluation criteria, and you know how to align them with low-level milestones to get the work done. You can apply domain knowledge from one technical subject, in order to quickly ramp and deliver on a new one. You know how to learn from failure until you succeed, and you are able to articulate and quantify the reasons for your decisions.
You will be part of the AdSmart's Data Engineering team, participating in the data architecture that will drive both current and future initiatives within NBCUniversal’s AdSmart group.
- Serve as a senior data engineer for AdSmart data products.
- Participate in, and execute, a 12-36 month product roadmap with input from the delivery team, stakeholders, and leadership
- Develop and code the data tools and services that are core to AdSmart, including One Platform and Peacock, under the leadership of the VP Architecture
- Utilize cutting-edge cloud computing technologies to solve problems
- Support product with the overall roadmap and ensure updates to senior leadership are 100% technically correct.
- Analyze and report results and adjust the overall engineering strategy accordingly with engineering leadership
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- 5+ years of software development experience, as a developer or manager
- Fluency in Scala and/or Java programming languages
- Strong OO & FP design patterns, data structure, and algorithm design skills
- Extensive experience developing Apache Spark applications
- 2+ years of experience with both relational database design (SQL), non-relational (NoSQL) databases, big data, real-time technologies
- Familiar with various cloud data sources and architectures such as AWS/S3, HDFS, Kafka
- Experience with software containerization, such as Docker
- Experience developing and/or consuming web interfaces (REST API) and associated skills (HTTP, web services)
- Self-directed, ability to multi-task, sharp analytical abilities, excellent communication skills, capable of working effectively in a dynamic environment
- Experience as a development manager (with direct authority over development staff)
- Experience with Cluster Management and Container Orchestration technologies such as Mesos, Kubernetes, Hadoop/Yarn
- Experience with Apache Kafka or similar streaming technologies
- Experience with GraphQL
- Experience with AWS Lambda or similar serverless backend technologies
- Experience with digital advertising technologies.
- Able and eager to learn new technologies and data science techniques
- Able to easily transition between high-level strategy and day-to-day implementation
- Excellent teamwork and collaboration skills
- Results-oriented, high energy, self-motivated
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU.
Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
Be a Better NBCUniversal Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at NBCUniversal when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about NBCUniversal? Visit NBCUniversal's website.
Come join the Gemini team and help us build the future of money!