Site Reliability Engineer
NBCUniversal, Seattle, WA
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.
Although you must be able to handle a fast-paced, pressure packed and often excitable work environment, (especially during major breaking news events), the reward of applying your knowledge to help maintain, support and architect highly performing and available web sites is very gratifying.
If the job responsibilities below sound appealing to you, and you have the required skillset, please send us your resume for an extraordinary opportunity to work with one of the most innovative news organizations on the internet.
The core focus for our Site Reliability Engineers (SRE) is centered on ensuring all the applications and services we support are highly available, performant and fault tolerant.
SRE team bridges the gap between 2 major groups in our technology organization; 1. The tier 1 operations support team and 2. Product and software development teams.
We are excellent problem solvers and troubleshooters, especially while working on outages or disruptions at any severity.
The SRE engineer core duties and responsibilities fall into these 4 buckets:
- Attend meetings on our quarterly “objective based” projects that are assigned to you so that you understand and communicate to the Ops team the product summary and development requirements.
- Provide expertise and guidance as it relates to infrastructure options, risks, impact, effective time estimations and cost.
- Strong knowledge of content delivery networks such as Akamai
- Strong knowledge of cloud providers such as AWS and experience with AWS Services such as EC2, VPC, Lambda, s3, etc.
- Responsible for DNS management, capacity planning, database and configuration management
- Effectively monitor all applications and services by leveraging monitoring platforms such as Splunk, New Relic, Rigor, etc.
- Design and implement targeted alerting to reduce the signal to noise ratio.
- Continuously endeavor to ensure our applications and services we support are integrated with our Cyber Security best practices.
- Routine application maintenance tasks are an ongoing responsibility of SRE Engineers that they accomplish via strategy-building techniques. Help create requirements and procedures for implementing routine maintenance. Troubleshooting existing information systems for errors and resolving those errors. The core focus for our Site Reliability Engineers (SRE) is centered on ensuring all the applications and services we support are highly available, performant and fault tolerant.
• A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college -OR- A
four-year high school diploma or its educational
equivalent and 10 years of experience in IT field
• 5+ years’ experience in Systems engineering &
web hosting environment
• Ability and experience installing, configuring and
optimizing performance on Linux (Debian/Apache or
CentOS/NGINX) operating systems.
• Experience with the following technologies required:
Linux/Debian/CentOS, Apache, NGINX, MySQL,
PostgresSQL, MongoDB, NFS, SSL, DNS/Bind,
common internet protocols, Akamai edge caching.
• Solid understanding of networking (VPC) and load
balancing (ALB/ELB) concepts within AWS. Experience
with F5, HAProxy,
• Knowledge and experience writing plugins or running
queries for monitoring tools such as New Relic, Splunk
• A solid understanding of revision control systems such
as GitHub including feature branches, committing code,
pull, pushes, etc…Management of GitHub Enterprise
account a plus.
• Knowledge of DNS, domain registration and hosting.
• Experience setting up and configuring AWS production
environments and AWS Services/tools.
• Strong focus on organization and attention to detail,
writing spec and project plans.
• Ability to work well in a team environment as well as
independently as required
• Highly motivated & driven team player
• Proficiency in English language, verbal and written with
ability to build and foster relationships
• Must be legally authorized to work in the United States
without the need for employer sponsorship, now or at
any time in the future.
• A Bachelor's degree in a related IT field + 5 years IT
• 5+ years’ experience in Systems engineering &
production web hosting environment and 5+ years in
software development or equivalent automation /
• A foundation in ITIL processes coupled with an
understanding of how these processes are implemented
and managed in a critical service delivery environment is
• Containers/Tools & Virtualization (Docker, Kubernetes,
ECS, EKS, EC2)
• CI/CD tooling (Jenkins, Puppet, Foreman, RunDeck,
• High Level Programing Language | Coding/Scripting
experience required – Bash, Groovy, Ruby or Python.
• Infrastructure as Code – Terraform, Helm,
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU.
Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
Be a Better NBCUniversal Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at NBCUniversal when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about NBCUniversal? Visit NBCUniversal's website.
The social news and entertainment company.