Principal, Data Engineer
NBCUniversal, New York, New York
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
The AdSmart technology team is responsible for data design, management, and development of the necessary platform and products for NBCUniversal’s AdSmart. NBCUniversal’s audience management products will enable NBCUniversal to better understand it's brand’s audiences such as NBC News, Bravo, The Tonight Show, Saturday Night Live, USA Network, and the new Peacock streaming service as well as audiences that cross brands. The goal is to ensure we know who is watching what, where and when. In turn, enabling NBCUniversal’s sales teams to properly align our audiences with the market advertisements that can benefit them the most. Like our audience products, our contextual products provide the ability to understand and align advertiser messaging in a way that is symmetrical with the content that is being shown.
What We Offer:
- Open, collaborative environment with talented engineers and engaged business stakeholders.
- An organization that encourages exploration and rewards good ideas.
- Programs which facilitate skill development and professional growth.
- Ability to work remotely.
- Highly reputed benefits.
Your Day Includes:
- Serve as a senior data engineer for AdSmart data products
- Develop and code the data tools and services that are core to AdSmart, including One Platform and Peacock, under the leadership of the VP of Architecutre.
- Participate in code review and design processes.
- Utilize cutting-edge cloud computing technologies to solve problems
- Evaluate new technologies for potential use and integration with existing stack.
- Participate in, and execute, a 12 – 36 month product roadmap with input from the delivery team, stakeholders and leadership
- Support product with the overall roadmap and ensure updates to senior leadership are 100% technically correct.
- Analyze and report results and adjust the overall engineering strategy accordingly with engineering leadership.
- Someone who is a big thinker who can analyze and evangelize a long-range opportunity, architect a groundbreaking solution, and roll-up your sleeves to get code out the door when needed.
- Someone who is data-driven and analytical
- Someone who understands the concept of a value proposition and evaluation criteria, and you know how to align them with low-level milestones to get the work done.
- Someone who can apply domain knowledge from one technical subject, in order to quickly ramp up and deliver on a new one.
- Someone who knows how to learn from failure until you succeed, and you are able to articulate and quantify the reasons for your decisions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field.
- 5+ years of software development experience, as a developer or manager
- Fluency in Scala and/or Java programming languages.
- Strong OO & FP design patterns, data structure, and algorithm design skills
- Extensive experience developing Apache Spark applications.
- 2+ years of experience with both relational database design (SQL), non-relational (NoSQL) databases, big data, real-time technologies.
- Familiar with various cloud data sources and architectures such as AWS/S3, HDFS, Kafka.
- Experience with software containerization, such as Docker.
- Experience developing and/or consuming web interfaces (REST API) and associated skills (HTTP, web services).
- Experience with Cluster Management and Container Orchestration technologies such as Mesos, Kubernetes, Hadoop/Yarn.
- Experience with cloud native technology services like AWS Lambda.
- Self-directed, ability to multi-task, sharp analytical abilities, excellent communication skills, capable of working effectively in a dynamic environment.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU.
Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
Be a Better NBCUniversal Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at NBCUniversal when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about NBCUniversal? Visit NBCUniversal's website.
High-quality tools for hosting, sharing, and streaming videos