Vice President, Software Engineering
NBCUniversal, See List Below, Multiple Locations
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
The Vice President of Software Engineering will manage technology strategy, development activities, day to day operations/platform support, long range initiative planning and collaboration with cross-functional business leaders and product teams. This position will have direct management of engineers in New York, Englewood Cliffs, NJ and Universal City, CA. The primary focus will be to manage engineering activities for a portfolio of applications, while developing new platforms in support of the evolving NBCU supply chain. A key area of responsibility will be the management, architectural oversight and re-use of the NBCU microservice catalog developed in collaboration with other engineering teams, as well as oversight of the NBCU development process methodology and tools.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Focus on building a strong engineering team, with a healthy mix of managerial support, architects, strategy, and innovative software engineering teams.
- Provide regular employee feedback and performance reviews.
- Develop partnerships across development engineering teams with cross-facility support and engagement.
- Manage the operational and capital budget for your team and clients.
Agile Methodology and Automation
- Manage rigorous process and control of all development, QA, DevOps, and cloud infrastructure using agile methodology.
- Continuous daily stand-ups, scrum sessions, bi-weekly sprint grooming sessions, and quarterly roadmap planning.
- Manage tracking tools such as JIRA, Jenkins, Github as traditional development toolsets.
- Manage resources into automation of the development process using CI/CD pipelines and quality automation.
Capital Projects and Strategy
- Collaborate with O&T leadership and operational clients to develop both short- and long-range strategic technology planning.
- Balance local project initiative needs with O&T-driven enterprise initiatives and endeavor to align strategies and develop synergies across all NBCU locations.
- Present and defend capital budget plans to senior leadership.
- Develop conceptual designs and technology architecture vision, assign project work to team members with clear direction.
- Manage on-going projects, including budgets, timelines, design and integration, application commissioning and training. Maintain application documentation.
- Engage as needed with projects at other NBCU sites in NY/NJ, LA, Denver, Miami, and International sites.
- Work closely with product teams, clients and executive management both formally and informally.
- Track development timelines, manage priorities and schedules, and set client expectations.
- Take a responsible leadership role for all projects and act as the main client interface.
- Capture technical requirements, provide solutions and ensure resources are available to hit required timelines.
- EKS, EC2, S3, Glacier, Kinesis, Lambda, Direct Connect, Aurora, Dynamo DB, API Gateway, Redshift, Step Functions, Elastic Search, Cognito, AWS Batch, Azure Functions, Azure Native Services.
- Jira, Jenkins, Github, SonarQube, Seaside, Slack, Teraform, Ansible.
•7+ years of recent experience with development management experience.
•5+ years of management experience, including performance evaluation, hiring and disciplinary action, agile methods.
•Strong experience with Microservice implementations (preferably AWS EKS, Kubernetes, Docker).
•2+ years of experience managing a team bigger than 40.
•Must be willing to work evenings, overnights, weekends, holidays with little or/no notice depending on production schedules.
•Architectural Design, DevOps, Automation, Cloud.
•Microservice implementations (AWS EKS, Kubernetes, Docker).
•Understanding of IP networking and IP media standards.
•Understanding of the three major cloud vendors (AWS, Azure, GCP).
•Backend, Front-end, Database, and UI/UX Experience.
•Expertise in full SDLC and secure coding practices and frameworks.
•SOX application compliance requirements.
•Collaboration and Technical Communication
oStrong customer service skills and unfailing professionalism.
oPartner closely and collaborate enthusiastically with both clients at the local facilities and peers across O&T.
oDemonstrate impeccable written and verbal communication and presentation skills for both technical and non-technical audiences.
•Proven Leadership Skills
o Provide clear, decisive direction. Don’t be afraid to make decisions, but be prepared to pivot or change course when appropriate.
o Be a leader that your team is excited to follow, both through regular and planned activities, but also when plans change unexpectedly due to outside influence.
o Demonstrate a high tolerance for stress, work well with others and provide a supportive attitude for all colleagues.
•Technology Expertise and Ownership
o Demonstrate a high level of expertise with a broad range of technologies.
o Grow with the industry, adapting to new technologies as they develop.
o Demonstrate a dedication to building and maintaining a stable, high-performance technical environment.
o Embrace your role as the ultimate responsible party and senior subject matter expert for technology.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU.
Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
Be a Better NBCUniversal Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at NBCUniversal when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about NBCUniversal? Visit NBCUniversal's website.
Great Prices. Better Cars. Shipped to You.