Lead Data Engineer, Direct-to-Consumer, Video Quality
NBCUniversal, Stamford, Connecticut
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
As part of the Direct-to-Consumer Quality and CDN Management team, the Lead Data Engineer will be responsible for creating and maintaining systems that ingest and store vast amounts of data from users and internal systems and CDNs. These systems must be scalable, robust, and affordable. In this role, the Lead Data Engineer will work with a variety of technologies that support the building of meaningful models, alerts, and visualizations from vast quantities of data.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead development of user experience data pipeline
- Assist in cleansing, discretization, imputation, selection, generalization etc. to create high quality features for the modeling process
- Work with business stakeholders to define business requirements including KPI and acceptance criteria
- Use big data, relational and non-relational data sources to access data at the appropriate level of granularity for the needs of specific analytical projects
- Maintains up to date knowledge of the relevant data set structures and participate in defining necessary upgrades and modifications
- Collaborate with software and data architects in building real-time and automated batch implementations of the data science solutions and integrating them into the streaming service architecture
- Drive work on improving the codebase, striving for ultimate efficiencies in code and performance
- Minimum ten (10) years working with big data: ETL, pipeline building, analysis, code
- Experience in leading small teams or/and being a lead data engineer on large commercial projects
- Experience implementing scalable, distributed, and highly available systems using Google Cloud and/or AWS
- Experience with data visualization tools and techniques
- Expert-level proficiency in at least one programming language
- Strong skills in data processing using SQL
- Experience with BigQuery or similar data service
- Experience with data visualizations
- Working experience with deep learning, particularly in the areas different form computer vision
- Experience with multi-billion record datasets and leading projects that span the disciplines of data science and data engineering
- Knowledge of enterprise-level digital analytics platforms (e.g. Adobe Analytics, Google Analytics, etc.)
- Experience building streaming data pipelines using Kafka, Spark or Flink
- Experience with large-scale video assets
- Team oriented and collaborative approach with a demonstrated aptitude and willingness to learn new methods and tools
- Pride and ownership in your work and confident representation of your team to other parts of NBCUniversal
NBCUniversal, the global media company that brought you some of the world’s most iconic television and film franchises, including: The Tonight Show, Saturday Night Live, Keeping Up With The Kardashians, The Real Housewives, Mr. Robot, The Voice, This Is Us, The Fast & The Furious, Jurassic Park, Minions, and more - is launching an all-new direct-to-consumer streaming service. It will seamlessly bring together the breadth and depth of NBCU’s broadcast and cable television series, movie titles, premier sporting events, and renowned news reporting... all in one destination… all in one app.
We are building a world-class team of smart, hungry and fearless professionals who are energized by the possibility of working at the epicenter of content, technology and culture. Join us if you would like to be a part of this exciting initiative.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU.
Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
Be a Better NBCUniversal Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at NBCUniversal when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about NBCUniversal? Visit NBCUniversal's website.
Minimalist makeup and skincare