Director, Video Engineering, VOD, Peacock, Direct-to-Consumer
NBCUniversal, Stamford, Connecticut
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
- Work with the engineers and vendors to deliver reliable, standards-based streams in a performant, scalable and consistent way so that operational KPI are met across all playback environments
- Collaborate both internally and externally across the broader technology organization to ensure sensible and consistent standards are defined and implemented
- Evangelise excellent engineering culture and best practices
- Work closely with key vendors to ensure timely, high-quality feature delivery
- Support requirements analysis by translating high level feature requirements into technical video playback capabilities
- Mentor engineers in the team and be an integral part to the hiring process to support hiring of diverse talent
- Work closely and collaboratively with other engineering managers in video engineering and software development teams
- Continuously learn, improve and optimise processes and ways of working
- Provide constructive feedback to help your direct reports grow in their professional careers
- Minimum eight (8) years of relevant experience in digital video encoding and delivery for D2C environments
- Minimum eight (8) years’ experience as a technical leader of a software development group
- Expertise in digital video workflow and operations, especially VOD encoding for large, online D2C catalogs
- Deep knowledge of audio and video streaming technologies, including but not limited to DASH, HLS, CMAF, SCTE (35 and 224), MPEG, AAC, and DD+
- Deep knowledge of DRM, understanding the implications and complexities of different encryption methods and key management techniques
- Knowledge of SSAI and CSAI, challenges and benefits of stitching using technologies listed above
- Knowledge of UHD and leading edge streaming technology, including HDR, 4K, and low latency streaming
- Working understanding of streaming player technology and standard consumer device behavior
- Understanding of agile software development concepts
- Interested candidate must submit a resume/CV through www.nbcunicareers.com to be considered (note job #: )
- Willingness to travel and work overtime, and on weekends with short notice
- Must be willing to work in Stamford, CT
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
- Must be 18 years or older
- It is the policy of NBCUniversal and NBCUniversal’ s affiliated businesses to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy) sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal given the collaborative nature of this role
- An interest in promoting inclusive team culture where engineers of diverse backgrounds can grow
- An inclusive leadership style - transparency, selflessness and authenticity
- Desire and eagerness to learn
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
Meet Peacock, NBCUniversal's new, wildly entertaining streaming service that combines timeless shows and movies with timely news, sports and pop-culture.
We're growing our team of smart, hungry, and upbeat doers who crave the chance to build something new at the epicenter of content, tech, and culture. We need fearless leaders and pop-culture fiends who work hard and fan hard. Creative problem-solvers who just so happen to be the reigning champs at Parks & Rec trivia night. So if this sounds like you, join our flock. And we promise, we won't put your stapler in Jell-O.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU.
Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
Be a Better NBCUniversal Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at NBCUniversal when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about NBCUniversal? Visit NBCUniversal's website.
Great Prices. Better Cars. Shipped to You.