Act Two Program - Data Engineer
NBCUniversal, New York, New York
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.
At NBCU, we appreciate the skills you can offer, the diverse perspective you can provide, and the contributions you will make. We understand that while careers may pause, talent doesn’t. Our Act Two program offers you a chance to revamp your skills, gain new experience and get professional development support through our partnership with Path Forward.
The Data & Analytics team (D&A) at NBCUniversal is looking for a passionate problem solver who’s looking to build the next generation of data pipelines and applications. Working across one or more of our main subject areas – research, marketing, engineering frameworks – the Data Engineer role is right for you if you’re a “hands-on” coder who can build and cleanse large datasets in order to report out actionable insights.
As part of the global Operations & Technology organization, the D&A is focused on data and analytics strategies for the future. We support NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands - from broadcast, cable, news, and sports networks to film studios, world-renowned theme parks, and a diverse suite of digital properties. We take pride in supplying our business groups with data to advise and shape strategic business decisions related to our content.
In the Data Engineer role, you’ll be working with internal stakeholders, data engineers, visualization experts, data scientists, and other technologists across the business. If you’re someone who loves to take large, disparate data sets and build them into flexible and scalable analytics applications and databases, you’ve come to the right place. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
- Collaborate with business leaders, engineers, and product managers to understand data needs.
- Interface with other technology teams to extract, transform, and load data from a wide variety of data sources using cloud-native data engineering principles
- Design, build, and scale data pipelines across a variety of source systems and streams (internal, third-party, as well as cloud-based), distributed/elastic environments, and downstream applications and/or self-service solutions
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Implement the appropriate design patterns while optimizing performance, cost, security, and scale and end user experience
- Participate in development sprints, demos, and retrospectives, as well as release and deployment
- Build and manage relationships with supporting IT teams in order to effectively deliver work products to production
• 5+ years of experience in a data engineering role
• Direct experience with data modeling, ETL/ELT development principles, and data warehousing concepts
• Knowledge of data management fundamentals and data storage principles
• Experience in building data pipelines using Python/SQL or similar programming languages
• Demonstratable experience in Airflow, Luigi or similar orchestration engines
• General understanding of cloud data engineering design patterns and use cases
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Statistics, Informatics, Information Systems or related field.
• Analytical – You have experience in delivering data analytics solutions that promote data discovery
o Experience with Snowflake, Amazon Web Services, or related cloud platforms a plus
o Understanding of big data technology stacks (Hive / Spark etc) is a plus
• Media-focused – Strong knowledge/passion for media including broadcast TV, digital, and film
o Direct experience working with sources like Nielsen, Adobe Analytics, comScore, and other media/entertainment industry datasets a plus
• Communicator – You have excellent verbal and written skills with the ability to communicate ideas effectively across all levels of the organization, both technical and non-technical
• Action-oriented – You're constantly figuring out new problems and are regularly showing results with a positive attitude, always displaying ethical behavior, integrity, and building trust
o Strong understanding of Agile principles and best practices
o You’ve dealt with ambiguity and can make quality decisions in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU.
Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
Be a Better NBCUniversal Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at NBCUniversal when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about NBCUniversal? Visit NBCUniversal's website.
Brewing up the future, today.