Data Platform Engineer
NBCUniversal, New York, New York
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
The D&A is focused on data and analytics strategies for the future. We support NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands - from broadcast, cable, news, and sports networks to film studios, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties. We take pride in supplying our business groups with data to advise and shape strategic business decisions related to our content.
In the Data Infrastructure and Product Manager role, you will be working with internal stakeholders and other technologists across the business. This position requires a passionate infrastructure expert – if you’re someone with expertise in data warehouse operations and can maintain the fine balance of business acumen and deep technical knowledge, you’ve come to the right place. Here you can drive product and platform transformation. Join us.
- Manage the operational monitoring and administration of our DW platform tools (Teradata, Protegrity, Bar, Informatica and Talend)
- Operational duties to include functions such as governing existing environments, automation, monitoring metrics, disaster recovery/backup, and capacity planning.
- Design/architect multi-tenant enterprise environments ensuring highly availability, fault tolerance, disaster recovery/backup, and capacity planning
- Collaborate with infrastructure teams to evaluate optimal hardware options
- Review, govern and consult on data modeling, ETL design specs, and metadata documentation
- Create, implement and govern standards and procedures to ensure products are managed consistently and properly integrated within the warehouse
- Participate/Initiate calls with the BI vendors to address any product related issues/performance challenges
- Aid in R & D projects, inclusive of product comparison, evaluation, selection, and justification
- Experience facilitating deployment of BI solutions, exhibiting strong performance and tuning capabilities, providing technical support to staff and end users, ability to troubleshoot and problem solve all tools. Ex. Teradata, Protegrity, Bar, Informatica and Talend
- Manage client priorities and expectations by establishing agreed service levels
- Provides feedback and technical guidance to outsourced admin support team and less senior level associates
- Assist with identifying and automating tracking of product key performance indicators and usage
- Assist with coordination and business user communication of planned and unplanned outages
- Ensure all DW product documentation is created and updated including architecture design and deployment documentation
- Assist with identifying, analyzing, testing and implementing new on-prem/in cloud tools
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science in related discipline or equivalent
- 5+ years hands-on experience as a Teradata Database dba/administrator
- 5+ years of hands on experience with SQL coding and databases (Teradata, Oracle, SQL Server, UDB)
- Data warehouse design skills are required, as well as database support in performance tuning and database troubleshooting
- Experience in database design, integration, architecture and performance tuning practices for Teradata
- Experience with various Data Warehouse solutions and ETL tools (Informatica, DTS preferred)
- Knowledge of Teradata v12 on Linux, load utilities and workload manager
- Experience with Hybrid cloud and data architectures
- Experience installing tools on a cloud-based infrastructure (IAAS)
- Experience with development, deployment and support of data processes and procedures
- Experience facilitating deployment of BI solutions, exhibiting strong performance and tuning
- Must have project management skills and be able to manage multiple projects. Work in fast – paced, high-pressure environment
- Demonstrable experience in effective verbal and written communications and interaction with internal and external customers at all levels
- Ability to work independently under minimum supervision and being proactive in solving issues
- Solution focused, ability to perform under pressure and meeting stretch targets
- Solid understanding of systems engineering to ensure a high-performance BI architecture (CPU, memory, storage, caching, etc.)
- Strong analytical, problem solving and planning skills
- Team player, ability to work in global environment
- Knowledge of Linux/Unix and Windows environments
- Excellent verbal/written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong interpersonal, conflict resolution, presentation, and customer service skills
- Visio, MS Project, MS Excel, Outlook, Word and PowerPoint skills
- Proven ability to evaluate and manage risk
- Proactive, great attention to detail, and results-oriented problem solver
- An understanding of the media / entertainment industry
- Ability to lead a global staff and projects in multiple locations
- Effective analytical, troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Prior work experience in media preferred
- AWS, Azure or Snowflake experience a plus
- Experience across Snowflake or Cloud based databases a plus.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU.
Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
Be a Better NBCUniversal Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at NBCUniversal when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about NBCUniversal? Visit NBCUniversal's website.
A monthly box of dog goodies