Director, Technology, WMAQ
NBCUniversal, Chicago, Illinois
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
The NBC Tower Chicago Broadcast Operations and Technology Department (BO&T) provides Technical Support, Engineering, Media Operations, Productions, Studios and Facilities services for internal clients for the local portfolio of NBCU Owned Television Stations WMAQ and WSNS as well as NBC Sports Chicago and studio clients, including the Judge Mathis Show. The Technology team has responsibility for partnering with our local and division teams to build, deploy and support the technical systems used throughout the facility.
The Director, Technology is a full-time position leading the Engineering, Technical Operations, Media Operations and IT teams focused on the implementation of Technology solutions and providing client focused technical support. This position is a critical part of delivering world class support, innovative new Technology, enabling operational change and driving smart business solutions. Reporting locally to the VP, Technology & Operations, and working in concert with the Division’s Technology Team, the Director, Technology will be the client facing role, responsible for the direct supervision of the technical team, overseeing complex technical project delivery, and support and sustainability for all local technical systems. Candidate must have experience in managing and developing technical staff with a deep understanding of current and emerging technologies across media and entertainment including infrastructure, distribution, live production, post-production, newsgathering & newsroom system
- Development, implementation and accountability to standards, controls and processes that ensure a high degree of availability and reliability across all technical systems and operations
- Facilitate team success with strategic guidance and helping identify and mitigate roadblocks.
- Manage day-to-day technical support operations, ensuring BO&T Support standards are met focusing on load balancing, prioritization, SLAs and client satisfaction.
- Support Enterprise teams with IT system troubleshooting and problem resolution.
- Handle and address customer communication, escalation and incident response management.
- Provide escalation support for deployed infrastructure as needed by liaising with vendors and other internal/external engineering SMEs for problem resolution.
- Manage the implementation, commissioning, documentation and operational handoff of new technology.
- Work with client Operations teams to promote a strong VOC to define requirements and deliver solutions that creatively solve business challenges or implement new processes across News, Production, Creative Services and other departments as needed.
- Provide operational support as needed.
- Evaluate and manage technical solutions across all broadcast systems including both SDI and ST-2110 video infrastructures, physical, virtualized, cloud-based computer & storage network, encode/decode platforms, live production systems, news gathering tools, NLE, media asset management systems, distribution and transmission systems.
- Ensure the successful handoff and maintenance of all relevant documentation, system knowledge and support processes to the support & operational teams.
- Test new technology through participation in POC initiatives and make recommendations for inclusion in strategic plan.
- Make recommendations on needed resources, feasibility, budget and timing requirements.
- Participate in the development and management of capital budgets and YoY operational budgets.
- Promote and ensure the use of key documentation processes and the transfer of knowledge across teams.
- Provide coaching, leadership and development of expertise across the technical teams.
- Ongoing monitoring and reporting of team metrics.
Other duties as deemed necessary.
ADDITIONAL JOB REQUIREMENTS:
>Strong leader with the ability to motivate employees, develop talent, tackle organizational challenges and maintain a culture of accountability and high performance.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU.
Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
Be a Better NBCUniversal Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at NBCUniversal when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about NBCUniversal? Visit NBCUniversal's website.
Palantir builds software that connects data, technologies, humans and environments.