Cloud Data Optimization Engineer
NBCUniversal, See List Below, Multiple Locations
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
The D&A Team is focused on data and analytics strategies for the future. We support NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands - from broadcast, cable, news, and sports networks to film studios, world-renowned theme parks, and a diverse suite of digital properties. We take pride in supplying our business groups with data to advise and shape strategic business decisions related to our content.
In the Cloud Data Optimization Engineer role, you’ll be working with internal stakeholders, data engineers, visualization experts, data scientists, and other technologists across the business. This position requires a passionate analytics expert – if you’re someone with expertise in cloud, dev/data ops, and operational processes and can maintain the fine balance of business acumen and deep technical knowledge, you’ve come to the right place. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
- You will be responsible for developing a robust program for Snowflake Cloud management frameworks that includes but is not limited to monitoring, alerting, tagging and governance model, budgets and change management, cost optimization lifecycle, show-backs, and charge-backs.
- You will work with our engineering teams to become an expert in their workflow and cost drivers of their expense.
- You will be a trusted liaison between the engineering and Data Management leadership team; helping quantify the cost impacts of engineering operational decisions and helping engineering implement cost best practices throughout their stack.
- You will collaborate with the D&A team to help with Snowflake IAM & Role Management and provisioning Snowflake assets
- You will participate in the forecasting process; build and improve forecasts and explore trends in cloud spend using internal and external tools
- You will provide stakeholders in Engineering and Product with the tools to develop and measure cost related insights, metrics, and KPIs to help them better understand their products and how to build them more efficiently
- You will participate in the creation and delivery of cloud optimization and governance training to budget owners and engineers, so they understand how best to optimize cloud usage spend.
- Operational duties to include functions such as governing existing Snowflake Cloud environment, automation, monitoring metrics, disaster recovery/backup, and capacity planning.
- Ensure all project documentation is created and updated including design, development, and deployment documentation.
- Assist with the analysis and implementation of new tools.
- Experience with creating/implementing/governing Dev & Data Ops processes.
- Participate in the creation and governance of Cloud operational best practices.
- Day-to-day system administration of Cloud production and non-production environments.
- Automate tasks through appropriate tools and scripting.
- Auditing and improving technical and procedural processes from an operational and security standpoint.
- Apply a DevOps mindset to operations: participates in the full operations lifecycle for making continued improvements and providing technological solutions for system functionality and efficiency.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of best practices and technology for cloud, data and analytics tools.
- 10+ years of professional experience with at least 3 of those years working in the Snowflake Cloud environment
- Experience across Snowflake and Cloud-based databases on IAM & Role Management
- Experience in Snowflake Data Sharing, Cloning, Data Exchange features
- Experience with Snowflake DR/Data Replication features
- Experience with GIT development, deployment, and support of data processes and procedures
- Experience with Linux & Windows environments.
- Solid experience with networking and tools for performance monitoring and troubleshooting.
- Proven experience and expertise in Cloud operational monitoring and administration.
- Experience with high volume data processing using Snowflake, Redshift, Databricks, and other relevant cloud technologies and designing solutions for reliability and performance at scale.
- Familiar with AWS, Azure, and Google cloud services (e.g. S3, Glue, Blob, EC2, Containers, etc.)
- Experience with Python and ELT/ETL Frameworks
- Experience with BI tools
- Familiarity with cataloging and data governance
- Experience in partnering with Engineering and Product teams on cloud optimization, costs, and their impact on the company’s bottom line.
- Effective analytical, troubleshooting, and problem-solving skills
- Experience working cross-functionally to roll out and manage large initiatives.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel, Outlook, Word, and PowerPoint skills
- Bachelor’s Degree Mathematics, Computer Science, or related field
- Prior work experience in media preferred
- Data Modelling and Data Model tool experience a major plus
- Snow Pro Core certification a major plus.
- Excellent communication & interpersonal skills.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU.
Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
Be a Better NBCUniversal Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at NBCUniversal when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about NBCUniversal? Visit NBCUniversal's website.
A monthly box of dog goodies