Manager, Backlot and Transportation
NBCUniversal, Universal City, California
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
SummaryThe Manager of Backlot & Transportation is responsible for the overall operation of Backlot Rides/Attractions and the Tram Garage which includes the management of technical operations, inspections, and maintenance, while leading both union and non-union employees. This includes strategic and operational planning for the department, including supporting programs, projects and/or initiatives as necessary. The Manager must ensure all required work is performed, targeting operational readiness and system reliability. The Manager will provide general oversight of the operating budget for all equipment and personnel within the Backlot and Tram Garage. The Manager plays an important role in the development, implementation, adherence, and enforcement of all policies and procedures while promoting a safe, diverse, and inclusive work environment.
- Responsible for the overall operation of the Backlot & Transportation department to ensure maximum efficiency.
- Works with Sr. Manager to develop annual budgets and operating plans to support any programs; maintains the financial acumen to manage all the departments’ needs and budget.
- Develops funding proposals and initiatives for programs to ensure the continuous delivery of services.
- Ensures best practices are in place – with effective participant assessment, relevant program delivery - so that participant goals are met.
- Responsible for the oversight for all maintenance, inspection, and technical operations.
- Oversees document control process; ensures proper documenting of program activities; ensures reporting is completed as required; ensures that program activities operate within the policies and procedures of USH.
- Works closely with internal departments to identify and correct operational issues quickly.
- Provides interface between Backlot & Transportation Department within Technical Services, Park Operations, Entertainment Department, Creative Department, EH&S and outside Agencies.
- Establishes and maintains professional working relationships with internal departments, engineers, subcontractors and suppliers.
- Works closely with internal clients to identify and correct operational issues quickly.
- Ensures that collective bargaining agreements are upheld by partnering with HR and Labor Relations to maintain positive union relationships.
- Assists in the implementation and maintenance of HR policies, procedures and practices of USH.
- Recruits, interviews and hires; ensures training and mentoring; manages and maintains team of well qualified technical services personnel.
- Provide work direction, counseling, and coaching to hourly union staff.
- Ensures employees are apprised of program plans and changes in a timely manner through staff meeting and notices, memos, etc.
- Coaches and motivates hourly union staff to promote safe and efficient operations while also exceeding client expectations of communication, responsiveness, quality of service, and technical efficiency.
- Provides positive and strong leadership, coaching, and mentoring for employees as well as monitor performance and results.
- Assists HR in establishing and implementing a performance management process for all other management and employees. Carries out annual technician performance evaluations: addressing performance concerns in a timely manner.
- Participation in reward and recognition, employee events, and TSAT action planning.
- Acts as EHS Safety Team representative for employees.
- Ensures that all safety procedures are understood and followed by providing up to date safety training to all employees and auditing procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university in Business Management, Engineering or related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred.
• 7 years of operations management/team leadership experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Strong P+L experience, command of budgeting and costs controls.
• A strong passion for delivering the highest quality of guest service.
• Ability to get along with people and to communicate in a professional manner with Owners, Inspectors, Architects, and others having a direct interest in a project being constructed.
• Ability to demonstrate creative problem-solving techniques to resolve project issues.
• Ability to develop positive relationships with client business units.
• Ability and willingness to work all shifts, overtime, weekends and holidays with short notice.
• Experience working with CMMS systems preferred. (Maximo, etc.)
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Project.
• Proficiency in AutoCAD.
• Theme Park Operations knowledge and experience.
• Excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work with all levels of employees and management, and willingness to give assistance to co-workers in other areas. Strong team player.
• Strong interpersonal and analytical skills.
• Strong time management skills.
• Ability to multi-task and be flexible is essential.
• Experience managing in a union environment.
Each day Universal Studios Hollywood creates unforgettable experiences for our guests from around the world. We bring to life the ultimate Hollywood experience with our real working movie studio and heart-pounding rides, shows and attractions that put you inside some of the world’s most popular movies and TV shows. USH offers something for everyone from thrill seekers to movie lovers to family fun for all ages. Our Team Members are passionate individuals who create memorable moments whether it’s on the studio lot, or in our conference rooms, theaters, or kitchens. We believe in the talent of our team members. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives our business to succeed in everything we do across the park. We believe in a culture of family and fun, here you can make a difference and build your career!
NBCUniversal owns and operates over 20 different businesses across 30 countries including a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks and a premium ad-supported streaming service.
Here you can be your authentic self. As a company uniquely positioned to educate, entertain and empower through our platforms, Comcast NBCUniversal stands for including everyone. We strive to foster a diverse and inclusive culture where our employees feel supported, embraced and heard. We believe that our workforce should represent the communities we live in, so that together, we can continue to create and deliver content that reflects the current and ever-changing face of the world. Click here to learn more about Comcast NBCUniversal’s commitment and how we are making an impact.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU.
Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
Be a Better NBCUniversal Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at NBCUniversal when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about NBCUniversal? Visit NBCUniversal's website.
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.