Operational Excellence Manager
NBCUniversal, Universal City, California
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
The role will have the technical facility to create operational dashboards and automate alerts to key stakeholders for early defect detection and resolution. The role will use these processes when matrixed into application teams, as required, as a hands-on resource for project management of technology upgrades and release management. As required, this role will drive issue resolution for outages, driving large extended teams of technical subject matter experts to successful conclusion in a timely fashion.
The role will leverage extensive knowledge and experience in Process Improvement, Change Management, Dev. Ops., Application Monitoring and Analytics/Data Visualization tools in order to streamline our Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) and support processes, ensuring predictability and repeatability of these processes.
The role will provide line of site into system health status, quality of end user system data entry for risk mitigation, early defect detection via system monitoring and alerts, service value delivery. This will include data acquisition, modeling, actionable reporting and analysis of SDLC and Support processes.
Help shape the vision, technical roadmap and architecture for Software Development, Operations and Support processes; balance vision with real-world demands to create roadmaps with high ROI/NPV while still creating early value to the application teams and their business partners
- Keep on top of IT industry and trends, emerging technologies
- Leverage existing enterprise investments to implement these best practices
- Design, project-manage or directly implement rapid solutions to improve teams’ operational excellence in a variety of technologies (AppDynamics, Splunk, PowerBI, Power Apps, …)
- Lead incident resolution on outages with broad ad hoc teams from across various enterprise and infrastructure teams
Drive defect prevention via Root Cause Analysis (RCA) and formal Lessons Learned / Retrospectives
- Document RCA findings in living Failure Means and Effects Analysis (FMEA) documents
- Leverage FMEAs for active risk mitigation plans and monitoring via actionable Risk Register document
- Coordinate release management across teams to minimize resource conflicts and triple-constraint risks
- Create and maintain actionable operational metrics, team effort tracking, and technical operational artifacts as used by supported teams, management and CIO’s Monthly Ops Reviews
- Create operational health dashboards and automated alerts
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field; Master’s level degree preferred
- 8+ years of experience with Software Development and Customer Technical Support, including formal processes for safely promoting code from Dev, through QA, to UAT and Prod
- 1-2 years hands-on development experience with Business Intelligence toolset (preferably Microsoft Power BI, but could be Tableau, MicroStrategy, or equivalent)
- Hands-on experience with Dev Ops toolset (e.g., Urban Code)
- 1-2 years hands-on experience with Application Performance Monitoring tools (e.g., Splunk, AppDynamics, etc.)
- Strong familiarity working with at least three of the following: leading database, data warehouse, ETL and reporting toolsets (e.g., Oracle / SQL Server, SQL Developer, TIBCO, Gentran Integration Suite, Teradata, Informatica, …)
- Strong familiarity with SaaS/Cloud solution development and deployment (e.g., Salesforce, AWS, etc.)
- Skilled Program Manager with proven ability to deliver multiple, concurrent and inter-related initiatives on time and within budget
- Skilled in SDLC and project methodologies for software development including testing coordination, test case development and deployment plans
Additional Job Requirements
- Interested candidate must submit a resume/CV through www.nbcunicareers.com to be considered (note job #: )
- Must be willing to work in Universal City, CA
- Work experience in Consumer Products or Media/Entertainment industries a strong plus
- Work experience with Finance Management (e.g., Software or Labor budget planning and tracking) and/or Financial Systems (e.g., SAP queries and reports)
- MBA, Finance Degree/Certification or similar
- Project Management certification (e.g., PMI PMP)
- Formal data modeling (e.g., star schemas)
- BI certification (e.g., Microsoft Certified: Data Analyst Associate with Exam DA-100: Analyzing Data with Microsoft Power BI)
- Experience with a breadth of software development tools (e.g., automated testing, performance testing, test planning and tracking, etc.)
- Experience developing solutions collaboration tools (E.g., Microsoft Teams, Power Apps, etc.)
- Experience with using or customizing Customer Support tools (e.g., Zendesk)
- Experience/certification with Process Improvement methodologies (e.g., Six Sigma, Lean, various Quality certifications)
- Experience/certification with various formal methodologies for Agile software development
- Enjoys quickly learning a broad array of technologies and apply that knowledge to real-world problems
- Superior organizational and administrative skills with the ability to prioritize work under aggressive timelines
- Experience working in a matrix organization; comfortable with the role ambiguity that goes with smaller yet nimble teams with high-visibility deliverable demands
- Willing to work outside of normal work hours, including occasional weekends, as needed for releases or incident remediation
- Ability to demonstrate initiative, self-starter who can work on assigned development tasks independently, yet leverage team members and resources as necessary; adaptable, applying critical and creative thinking while balancing competing demands and challenging the status quo where necessary
o Strong analytical & problem-solving skills
o Self-confidence to go into an all-hands-on-deck issue resolution “firefight” involving many technologies, familiar and unfamiliar, and drive ad hoc teams to a solution
o Emotional maturity, performing well under pressure
NBCUniversal owns and operates over 20 different businesses across 30 countries including a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks and a premium ad-supported streaming service.
Here you can be your authentic self. As a company uniquely positioned to educate, entertain and empower through our platforms, Comcast NBCUniversal stands for including everyone. We strive to foster a diverse and inclusive culture where our employees feel supported, embraced and heard. We believe that our workforce should represent the communities we live in, so that together, we can continue to create and deliver content that reflects the current and ever-changing face of the world. Click here to learn more about Comcast NBCUniversal’s commitment and how we are making an impact.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU.
Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
Be a Better NBCUniversal Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at NBCUniversal when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about NBCUniversal? Visit NBCUniversal's website.
A monthly box of dog goodies