Senior Systems Engineer
NBCUniversal, Needham, Massachusetts
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
support, engineering, media operations, production, studios, and facilities services for the local portfolio of
NBCU Local Television Station businesses including NBC10 Boston, NBC Sports Boston, Telemundo
Boston, and New England Cable News. The Technology team has the responsibility of partnering with our
local & division teams to build, deploy, and support the technical systems used at The NBCU Boston
Reporting to the Director of Engineering, the Senior Systems Engineer is a full-time position at the NBCU
Boston Media Center and is key part of the team responsible for the upkeep of the facility, and the
systems and processes within it, as well as remote facilities which serve the business. The Senior Systems
Engineer is responsible for resolving escalated service issues, leading technology projects, coaching
other engineers to resolutions, and maintaining and overseeing the mission critical technology platforms of
the business. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience in technical leadership amongst peers
and is expected to be dedicated to advancing the knowledge and skills of the entire Technology
department through establishing and reinforcing best practices, intentional and ongoing coaching, training,
and knowledge-share efforts.
This role plays an integral part in ensuring our businesses can reliably create and deliver their content to all
our audiences and partners across linear and non-linear platforms. This position is primarily focused on
the video and audio systems in the facility, which is home to NBC10 Boston, NBC Sports Boston,
Telemundo Boston, and New England Cable News. In addition to maintaining our current systems, you will
also be responsible for designing and implementing new systems within our mission critical, multi-business
broadcast environment. The role requires that you possess the necessary experience and self-discipline
to take ownership and responsibility for delivering technical solutions considering both business
and technical aspects of system design and implementation. You will also be part of the team which is
user-facing support for these systems, solutions, and processes. The role will suit individuals who are
excited by the opportunity to design, integrate, and maintain leading edge IP-based technologies and
highly virtualized broadcast environments.
This person will be entrusted to help maintain a facility built around modern technologies such as:
- ST2110 Video and Audio core infrastructure
- DANTE audio mixing and routing
- Digital intercom matrix
- Production automation with robotic studio cameras
- Video encoding for contribution and distribution
trends in the areas of video, audio, professional editing, codecs, field cameras, signal transmission and
distribution and more, with a desire to continue learning and grow.
- Design, implement, configure, manage, and support complex broadcast and IT systems
- Deliver projects on time & within budget
- Work with internal / external technical support teams to ensure timely resolution of issues and requests
- Provide advanced troubleshooting, support, and root cause analysis for impacted systems, infrastructure, and applications
- Use change management and testing processes and assess all issues, additions, and changes to mitigate potential system impact
- Analyze workflows to identify manual processes that can be streamlined or improved upon through optimized process or with new hardware, software, or automation
- Develop and maintain system documentation for operational and troubleshooting purposes
- Develop strong working relationships with department leaders and their teams including Production Operations, Engineering, IT, Creative Services, Sales, Traffic and News Operations groups to define project requirements and create systems that creatively solve business challenges or implement new processes
- Work with technology and operations teams to ensure SOP’s and technical documents are clearly written, accurate, and up to date
- Promote the use of key documentation processes and the transfer of knowledge within the Engineering team
- Provide coaching, leadership and technical expertise for other System Engineers and Technical Support Engineers
- Drive and maintain our technical standards
- Produce work that is consistently professional, reliable, and detail oriented
- Other duties as deemed necessary
- Experience in supporting large scale systems to support business needs
- Experience supporting a major market or network news operation or in a similar role with a media
company, systems integrator, an ISP, or other relevant industry
- Demonstrated experience with designing and integrating complex integrated systems
- Proficient in AutoCAD and Visio for both design and maintaining system documentation
- Knowledgeable with IT routers, switches, firewalls, and port management applications
- Capable of reading and writing code in a major programming language
- Proficient in A/V file transcoding, data archiving processes, and video compression technologies
- Hands on experience with support of non-linear edit systems such as Premiere, FCP, Edius, etc.
- Demonstrated knowledge of media over managed IP networks and protocols
- Knowledge and experience with hardware virtualization
- Knowledge of media workflow tools and production systems
- Knowledge of distribution systems including RF, streaming, and satellite
- Knowledge of newsgathering and communications systems
- Positive work ethic, ability to work well in groups to execute projects on time and on budget while
meeting customer expectations
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively with diverse audiences across different departments,
ranging from non-technical clients to technical professionals and operations staff.
- Must be able to process large amounts of information, analyze this information and make sound
decisions, sometimes under intense deadline pressure.
- Knowledge of standard engineering processes such as change control and agile development concepts.
- Must be keen to learn and develop new skills
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Excellent organization, collaboration, and communication skills.
- Must possess strong multitasking skills and the ability to prioritize tasks
Additional Job Requirements
- Interested candidate must submit a resume/CV through www.nbcunicareers.com to be considered
- Must be willing to work in Needham, MA
- Willingness to travel and work overtime, and on weekends with short notice
- Must be willing to submit to a background investigation
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
- Must be 18 years or older
- Ability to lift and carry 50+ pounds of gear
- Must submit an attestation disclosing your COVID-19 vaccination status and, if partially or fully vaccinated, submitting your vaccination record no later than 7 days following commencement of employment.
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at the commencement of employment or must undergo regular COVID-19 testing if Company determines your job position requires accessing an NBCUniversal worksite.
- Must be willing to adhere to all Company COVID-19 workplace safety policies and protocols.
NBCUniversal owns and operates over 20 different businesses across 30 countries including a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks and a premium ad-supported streaming service.
Here you can be your authentic self. As a company uniquely positioned to educate, entertain and empower through our platforms, Comcast NBCUniversal stands for including everyone. We strive to foster a diverse and inclusive culture where our employees feel supported, embraced and heard. We believe that our workforce should represent the communities we live in, so that together, we can continue to create and deliver content that reflects the current and ever-changing face of the world. Click here to learn more about Comcast NBCUniversal’s commitment and how we are making an impact.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
NBCUniversal is an equal opportunity employer and will provide reasonable accommodations as required by applicable federal, state, and/or local laws.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU.
Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
Be a Better NBCUniversal Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at NBCUniversal when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about NBCUniversal? Visit NBCUniversal's website.
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.
Tech Jobs For You
Director, Engineering - Productivity Engineering
Evernote, Remote, Hybrid, or any US office (Bay Area, San Diego, Au...