Systems Engineer - NBC Sports Bay Area
NBCUniversal, San Francisco, California
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
Reporting to the Director of Technology, the Systems Engineer is a full-time position within the Technology & Operations Department that will assist the team with helping to gather requirements, planning, designing and implementing systems within our mission critical, multi-tenant broadcast and enterprise IT environment. The role requires that you possess the necessary self-discipline to take ownership and responsibility for delivering technical solutions considering both business and technical needs of all customers with the goal of providing a quality product that meets the user needs. You will be part of a talented team of engineers that demonstrate superb technical competency, delivering internal customer-oriented solutions, mission critical infrastructure, and ensuring the highest levels of availability and performance. The role will suit individuals who are excited by the opportunity to work with leading edge technologies in the design, implementation and transition to IP based and highly virtualized broadcast environments.
- “A Hands on” accomplished systems engineer dedicated to help our business win by supporting mission critical broadcast and IT systems, Live Events production, projects and new initiatives.
- Develop strong working relationships with department leaders and their teams including Production Operations, Engineering, IT, Creative Services, Sales, Traffic, and Digital Content groups to manage systems, documentation, follow best practices and implement new technologies & deliver projects on time & within budget.
- Work with equipment manufacturer technical support teams to ensure timely resolution issues related to production systems.
- Provide troubleshooting & support for systems, infrastructure and applications, including root cause analysis.
- Evaluate and optimize workflows related to all broadcast systems including linear and IP fabric for video infrastructures, virtualized Windows & Linux environments, encode / decode platforms, newsgathering tools, NLE, Media Asset Management systems, distribution / transmission systems and other workflow tools.
- Evaluate, test and install upgrades to all platform operating systems, applications, and hardware
- Risk Management: Assess all issues, adds, changes to mitigate potential system impact.
- Ongoing assessment of workflows, identifying manual processes that can be streamlined or improved upon with new hardware, software or automation
- Participate in the testing of new technology.
- Install, commission and configure new technology
- Develop and maintain system documentation for operational and troubleshooting purposes.
- Work with operations teams to ensure SOP’s & documentation are written and up to date
- Produce work that is consistently professional, reliable and detail oriented.
- Other duties as deemed necessary
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Broadcast IT or Systems Engineering or similar with 5+ years’ experience preferred. Equivalent experience considered.
- Experience in a similar role with an ISP, media company, systems integrator or other relevant industry.
Additional Job Requirements
- Interested candidate must submit a resume/CV through www.nbcunicareers.com to be considered
- Must be willing to work in San Francisco, CA
- Must be willing to travel and work outside standard hours, evenings, and on weekends with short notice
- Must be willing to submit to a background investigation
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Ability to lift and carry 40+ pounds of gear
- Must be covered by Solutions, NBCU’s Alternative Dispute Resolution Program
- Experience in supporting large scale systems to support business needs
- Experience supporting a major market or network News operation
- Knowledge of IT routers, switches, firewalls, and port management applications
- Proficient in A/V file transcoding, data archiving processes and video compression technologies & standards.
- Hands on experience with support of non-linear edit systems such as Premier, FCP, Edius, Avid and Adobe CC.
- Demonstrated knowledge of media over managed IP networks and protocols.
- Knowledge and experience with hardware virtualization
- Knowledge of media workflow tools and production systems such as Vantage, iNews, Sony HIVE/ELC or similar.
- Knowledge of distribution systems including RF, streaming and satellite.
- Knowledge of newsgathering and communications systems
- Strong ability to read and generate system documentation (Visio, ACAD).
- Positive work ethic, ability to work well in groups to execute projects on time and on budget while meeting customer expectations.
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively with diverse audiences across different departments, ranging from non-technical clients to technical professionals and operations staff.
- Must be able to process large amounts of information, analyze this information and make sound decisions, sometimes under intense deadline pressure.
- Knowledge of standard engineering processes such as change control and agile development concepts.
- Must be keen to learn and develop new skills, as the needs of the business unit change.
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Excellent organization, collaboration and communication skills.
- Knowledge and experience with setup, testing, and documentation of proof of concept systems
- Must possess strong multitasking skills and the ability to prioritize tasks
NBCUniversal owns and operates over 20 different businesses across 30 countries including a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks and a premium ad-supported streaming service.
Here you can be your authentic self. As a company uniquely positioned to educate, entertain and empower through our platforms, Comcast NBCUniversal stands for including everyone. We strive to foster a diverse and inclusive culture where our employees feel supported, embraced and heard. We believe that our workforce should represent the communities we live in, so that together, we can continue to create and deliver content that reflects the current and ever-changing face of the world. Click here to learn more about Comcast NBCUniversal’s commitment and how we are making an impact.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
NBCUniversal is an equal opportunity employer and will provide reasonable accommodations as required by applicable federal, state, and/or local laws.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU.
Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
Be a Better NBCUniversal Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at NBCUniversal when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about NBCUniversal? Visit NBCUniversal's website.
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.