Sr. Android Engineer, Peacock
NBCUniversal, Universal City, California
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
Who are we really looking for?
A responsible software engineer who is excited about video streaming and Android. Someone who enjoys the intense moments in our sprint and will recharge work culture. We’ll support your growth in Android or in other platforms like web, Roku, iOS and many more if there’s a will to change the direction.
We pay a competitive market rate and offer fun perks like Comcast 1Gb internet, free tickets to Universal Parks and TONS of retail discounts.
What you will actually be doing?
- Develop new features. Discuss and explore with designers and product owners possible solutions to given hypotheses.
- Communicate with partners and 3rd party integrations to solve business problems
- Fix bugs: yes, we have bugs and we talk about them openly. Some are more fun than others, but we love them all. ❤️
- Review PRs and give constructive feedback
- Refactor a continuously growing product. We have old codebase as well as new codebase and architecture. Which means we strive to improve what we work on but also we’re being realistic about how much risk new changes bring.
- Build castles. We love good, scalable architecture that works for us and we love the smell of a new castle as well as the smell of a freshly destroyed castle.
- Communicate with teams other teams (iOS/TV OS, Roku, Chromecast, Web, Ads, Data Science) and come up with solutions that work for all platforms.
- Multi-modular app, MVVM architecture
- We use Dagger for DI in about 50% of the app, we’re continuously moving old features to new architecture with Dagger.
- Mostly Kotlin but we still have ~25% of classes in Java
- We support Android Mobile, Fire TV, Fire Tablet and Android TVs. Each platform has its own specifics but most of business logic is shared.
• You’re excited to solve actual business problems and are interested in how you can continuously improve the product and the processes.
• You have 3-5+ years experience working with Production Android Apps.
• This is a senior role and we want someone who is prepared to make an impact from the start.
• You own what you work on. Whenever you build something you track it after it goes to the market and you are interested in seeing the impact of your work.
• You know the importance of working together on bigger goals. We’re stronger together and you’re comfortable being out of your comfort zone because that’s where the real growth is.
• You’re never tired of learning. multi-platform, video streaming, optimizations, massive scale(America’s got Talent, The Voice, Winter Olympics, English Premier League, NFL Sunday Night Football and Superbowl)
• you’ve worked with video playback(ExoPlayer), HLS, DRM, client-side/server-side ad insertion
• you have experience breaking down a monolith into small components/modules
• You have built apps for other android based devices like Fire TV, Fire Tablet, Android TV or Wear OS
• You have built android internal libraries used by other team members
NBCUniversal owns and operates over 20 different businesses across 30 countries including a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks and a premium ad-supported streaming service.
Here you can be your authentic self. As a company uniquely positioned to educate, entertain and empower through our platforms, Comcast NBCUniversal stands for including everyone. We strive to foster a diverse and inclusive culture where our employees feel supported, embraced and heard. We believe that our workforce should represent the communities we live in, so that together, we can continue to create and deliver content that reflects the current and ever-changing face of the world. Click here to learn more about Comcast NBCUniversal’s commitment and how we are making an impact.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
NBCUniversal is an equal opportunity employer and will provide reasonable accommodations as required by applicable federal, state, and/or local laws.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU.
Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
Be a Better NBCUniversal Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at NBCUniversal when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about NBCUniversal? Visit NBCUniversal's website.
Reddit is an American social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website.