Systems Engineer - SportsNet New York
NBCUniversal, New York, New York
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.
The SNY Engineering and Technology Department provides Technical Support, Engineering, Media Operations, Production, Studios and Facilities services for internal content creation and external clients.
Reporting to the Vice President of Engineering and Technology, the Systems Engineer is a full-time position within the Operations Department that will be primarily responsible for gathering requirements, planning, designing, and implementing systems within our mission critical, production and enterprise IT environment. The role requires the necessary self-discipline to take ownership and responsibility for delivering technical solutions considering both business and technical needs of all customers with the goal of providing a quality product that meets the user needs. You will be part of a talented team of engineers that demonstrate superb technical competency, delivering internal customer-oriented solutions, mission critical infrastructure, and ensuring the highest levels of availability and performance. The role will suit individuals who are excited by the opportunity to work with leading edge technologies in the design, implementation and transition to IP based and highly virtualized broadcast environments.
Additionally, the Systems Engineer is responsible for resolving escalated service issues, coaching other engineers to resolutions, leading technology projects, and for maintaining and overseeing the mission critical technology platforms of the business. The Systems Engineer will have demonstrated experience in technical leadership amongst peers and is expected to be dedicated to advancing the knowledge and skills of the entire Technology department through establishing and reinforcing best practices, intentional and ongoing coaching, training, and knowledge share efforts.
“A Hands on” accomplished systems engineer dedicated to help our business win by supporting mission critical broadcast and IT systems, projects, and new initiatives.
Develop strong working relationships with department leaders and their teams including Production Operations, Engineering, IT, Creative Services, Sales, Traffic and News Operations groups to define project requirements and create systems that creatively solve business challenges.
Manage systems, documentation, develop best practices and implement new technologies & deliver projects on time & within budget.
Work with internal / external Technical Support teams to ensure timely resolution of customer requests and issues.
Provide advanced troubleshooting & support for systems, infrastructure, and applications, including root cause analysis.
Evaluate and optimize workflows related to all broadcast systems including linear and IP fabric for video infrastructures, virtualized Windows & Linux environments, encode / decode platforms, newsgathering tools, NLE, Media Asset Management systems, distribution / transmission systems and other workflow tools.
Evaluate, test and install upgrades to all platform operating systems, applications, and hardware
Risk Management: Assess all issues, adds, changes to mitigate potential system impact.
Ongoing assessment of workflows, identifying manual processes that can be streamlined or improved upon with new hardware, software or automation
Participate in the testing new technology and make recommendations to management on needed resources, feasibility, budget and timing requirements for inclusion in strategic plan.
Work with operations teams to ensure SOP’s & documentation are written and up to date
Promote the use of key documentation processes and the transfer of knowledge within the Engineering team
Other duties as deemed necessary
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Broadcast Engineering or similar with 5+ years’ experience preferred. Equivalent experience considered.
- Experience in a similar role with an ISP, media company, systems integrator, or other relevant industry.
Additional Job Requirements
- Interested candidate must submit a resume/CV through www.nbcunicareers.com to be considered
- Must be willing to work in New York City
- Willingness to occasionally work outside standard hours, holidays and on weekends with short notice
- Must be willing to submit to a background investigation
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must submit an attestation disclosing your COVID-19 vaccination status and, if partially or fully vaccinated, submitting your vaccination record no later than 7 days following commencement of employment.
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at the commencement of employment or adhere to enhanced protocols if Company determines your job position requires accessing an NBCUniversal worksite.
- Must be willing to adhere to all Company COVID-19 workplace safety policies and protocols.
- Experience in supporting small and middle scale systems to support business needs
- Proficient with IP routers, switches, firewalls, and port management applications
- Hands on experience with support of non-linear edit systems such as Avid and Adobe Creative Cloud
- Demonstrated knowledge of media over managed IP networks and protocols.
- Knowledge and experience with hardware virtualization, VMWare, Veeam, AWS, Cisco UCS and Rubrik.
- Strong ability to read and generate system documentation (Visio).
- Positive work ethic, ability to work well in groups to execute projects on time and on budget while meeting customer expectations.
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively with diverse audiences across different departments, ranging from non-technical clients to technical professionals and operations staff.
- Knowledge of standard engineering processes such as change control and agile development concepts.
- Excellent organization, collaboration, and communication skills.
- Must possess strong multitasking skills and the ability to prioritize tasks
NBCUniversal owns and operates over 20 different businesses across 30 countries including a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks and a premium ad-supported streaming service.
Here you can be your authentic self. As a company uniquely positioned to educate, entertain and empower through our platforms, Comcast NBCUniversal stands for including everyone. We strive to foster a diverse and inclusive culture where our employees feel supported, embraced and heard. We believe that our workforce should represent the communities we live in, so that together, we can continue to create and deliver content that reflects the current and ever-changing face of the world. Click here to learn more about Comcast NBCUniversal’s commitment and how we are making an impact.
SNY is an Emmy Award winning regional sports content creator with both linear television and digital platform distribution. SNY provides unparalleled and exclusive coverage of the New York Mets, New York Jets, UCONN Women’s Basketball and all things New York sports. As New York's leader in local sports coverage, SNY delivers the most comprehensive access to all the Tri-State area's professional and collegiate sports teams through exclusive live games, nightly sports programs, and original entertainment. The linear network serves approximately nine million homes throughout New York, Connecticut, New Jersey, and northeastern Pennsylvania, and nationally through select providers. SNY also distributes up-to-the-minute New York sports news and exclusive series digitally at SNY.tv, and through its social channels on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
NBCUniversal is an equal opportunity employer and will provide reasonable accommodations as required by applicable federal, state, and/or local laws.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU.
Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
Be a Better NBCUniversal Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at NBCUniversal when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about NBCUniversal? Visit NBCUniversal's website.
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.