Software Engineer (Intern)
NerdWallet, San Francisco, CA
A personal finance website that helps people make and manage financial decisions
At NerdWallet, we are passionate about helping consumers make the right financial decision by building delightful product experiences. We are looking for talented software engineering interns who are passionate about working in a dynamic, high-growth start-up environment where there are real opportunities to make a meaningful and positive impact on how consumers interact with their finances. Engineering interns at NerdWallet will have the opportunity to be fully embedded in one of our teams and work on a variety of technical challenges (front-end, back-end, full-stack) and help design, build and maintain high-performance scalable systems that will support NerdWallet’s rapid growth.
NerdWallet Engineering offers a culture of constant learning, an environment where we value creativity, team-work and a “consumer-first” product culture. Our small teams of “Nerds” provide you with the unique opportunity to collaborate and learn from seasoned engineers (along with being paired to a technical mentor), thus enabling you to have a significant impact in building our products. All engineering interns work in cross-functional multidisciplinary teams that include product owners and product designers, that provide you with the opportunity to understand the direct impact of the products we build and influence its direction. By the end of your summer internship, you will be well on your way towards becoming a well-rounded software engineer and product innovator who embodies the unique NerdWallet culture we are proud of.
Where you can make an impact:
- Design and build delightful web and mobile products that are performant, secure, scalable and sustainable
- Build and extend search, machine-learning and content infrastructure that enables NerdWallet users to search for and find relevant and personalized content.
- Drive improvements to our back end, data and front end infrastructure that will scale as NerdWallet’s products and audience grows.
- Develop and extend a crowd-sourced Q&A platform that delights and helps consumers by connecting them with subject-matter experts in personal finance.
- Build interesting tools for data quality, data integration, performance, QA and Operations (on top of AWS) that will make a positive impact on our software development process and site-operations.
- A creative problem solver: You are ingenious, and relentless in solving extremely complex problems.
- Consumer product focused: You are passionate about creating products that improve the lives of millions of users and building delightful user experiences.
- Communication and collaboration: You are able to work effectively in a team. You will be working closely with developers and customer groups to build product features and high quality products.
- High-energy, company first, positive attitude: Must be motivated to work hard in a fast-paced environment.
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- Familiarity with technologies like React, Redux, Node.js, Express.js, ElasticSearch, Flask, MySQL/Postgres, Kafka, Redis, AWS/Redshift.
- Passion and interest in learning new programming languages and emerging technology stacks.
- Passion about open-source software is a plus.
What we offer:
- 1-on-1 time and mentorship opportunities with senior leadership outside of your direct team.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily with ranging cuisines
- Onsite coffee bar with baristas, kitchens stocked full of snacks and weekly company happy hours
- Company sponsored intern events, ranging from social activities to leadership speaker series
- Volunteer opportunities to give back to the local community
- Flexible hours, competitive pay and housing stipend
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
NerdWallet gives consumers and small businesses clarity around all of life’s financial decisions. When it comes to credit cards, bank accounts, mortgages, insurance, loans or expenses like hospital costs and medical bills, consumers make almost all their decisions in the dark. NerdWallet is changing that, helping guide consumers' decisions with free, accessible tools, research and expert advice.
Want to learn more about NerdWallet? Visit http://www.nerdwallet.com
Jobs You May Like
Entry-Level Site Reliability Engineer (SRE)
IBM, Multiple Cities
ThoughtWorks, San Francisco
Software Engineer, Full Stack (2018 Grads)
TripAdvisor, Needham, MA
Security Automation Engineer
Slack, San Francisco
IT Support Associate
Betterment, Betterment HQ - New York City
Software Engineer - Salesforce
Yelp, San Francisco, CA