Writer (Personal Finance)
NerdWallet, San Francisco, CA or Remote (Based in the U.S.)
A personal finance website that helps people make and manage financial decisions
NerdWallet is looking for writers to cover the personal finance choices that millions of Americans grapple with every day. Successful candidates must be able to translate complex topics into conversational articles that frame the answers our audience seeks with the context it deserves.
Our content team is 90+ people strong and growing.
Writing compelling and significant stories would be only part of your job. Ultimately you would own a corner of the NerdWallet website with the goal of creating the internet’s best answers for the topics you cover.
You would spend a significant amount of time researching and refining the advice that NerdWallet provides, then dig even deeper into consumer pain points to figure out the best next steps. You would learn and use the best practices for search optimization to ensure that those who needed help could easily find it. You would find ways to measure your success and build on it.
A typical day could include not only writing but also gathering data for product ratings, building a case for a new coverage area, testing a calculator, editing a colleague’s work or pitching in on a presentation for the content team.
Please include links to four examples of your work in your application. If you don't have links to share, you may include four writing samples at the bottom of your cover letter.
How you can make an impact:
- Write high-quality stories with a strong consumer-first orientation.
- Share expertise and timely/relevant ideas to support NerdWallet’s social, syndication and media strategies.
- Leverage insights from analytics to grow NerdWallet's readership and improve the user experience through new content and optimizations.
- Contribute ideas that strengthen NerdWallet's approach to product reviews and comparisons.
- Help shape NerdWallet's consumer experiences, including tools.
We recognize not everyone will have all of these requirements. If you meet most of the criteria below and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you.
- A strong communicator who can empathize with consumers and help them navigate complex financial decisions.
- Excellent at prioritization and handling multiple projects at once.
- Resourceful and self-directed. You can tackle anything from story assignments to projects with minimal direction, and you consistently deliver polished work.
- Comfortable with change.
- Able to provide examples of how you've taken initiative and driven projects throughout your career.
- Passionate about self-improvement and at ease with constructive criticism.
- Someone who works with equal enthusiasm whether you’re a project leader or team member.
- Excited to learn about new personal finance topics, develop relevant sources and communicate consumer-first advice.
That's what it takes to thrive at NerdWallet, which has been helping consumers make smart financial decisions since 2009. Our content team includes writers and editors with experience at Bloomberg, Dow Jones, the Los Angeles Times, MSN, Reuters, USA Today, The Wall Street Journal and The Washington Post. We also have staff writers who have spent years as successful freelancers or in fields outside journalism.
What we have in common: We take initiative. We think strategically. We problem solve effectively. We're flexible. We're highly collaborative.
- This role will be based in San Francisco, CA or remote (based in the U.S.).
- We believe great work can be done anywhere. No matter where you are based, NerdWallet offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your family.
What we offer:
Work hard, stay balanced (Life’s a series of balancing acts, eh?)
- 100% paid premiums for medical, dental and vision for employees and their dependents
- Rejuvenation Policy – Flexible Time Off + 12 holidays + Mental Health Days
- New Parent Leave for employees with a newborn child or a child placed with them for adoption or foster care
- Mental health support through Ginger.io
- Paid sabbatical for Nerds to recharge, gain knowledge and pursue their interests
- Health and Dependent Care FSA and HSA with monthly NerdWallet contribution
- Weekly Virtual Bootcamp, Yoga and Mindfulness Meditation sessions
- Monthly Wellness Stipend and Cell Phone Stipend
Have some fun! (Nerds are fun, too)
- Nerd-led group initiatives – Intramural Sports, Employee Resource Groups for Parents, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, Womxn, LGBTQIA, and other communities
- Hackathons, Happy Hours and team bonding across all teams and departments
- Company-wide events like Little Nerds Day (aka bring your kids to work day, even if you're remote!) and our annual Charity Auction
Lifestyle (Be your best self - we’ll take care of the details)
- Our Nerds love to make an impact by paying it forward – Donate to your favorite causes with a company match
- WiFi stipend, work from home equipment stipend, and co-working space subsidy
- Commuting stipend and catered breakfast, lunch and onsite barista for SF based Nerds
- Anniversary recognition program – choose from different items and experiences
Plan for your future (And when you retire on your island, remember the little people)
- 401K with company match
- Annual Enrichment Stipend for learning and development
- Be the first to test and benefit from our new financial products and tools
- Access to Rocket Lawyer for online legal support and resources
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
NerdWallet gives consumers and small businesses clarity around all of life’s financial decisions. When it comes to credit cards, bank accounts, mortgages, insurance, loans or expenses like hospital costs and medical bills, consumers make almost all their decisions in the dark. NerdWallet is changing that, helping guide consumers' decisions with free, accessible tools, research and expert advice.
Want to learn more about NerdWallet? Visit NerdWallet's website.
A membership platform that makes it easy for artists and creators to get paid