Product Design Manager, Personal Finance
NerdWallet, San Francisco, CA
A personal finance website that helps people make and manage financial decisions
NerdWallet aims to make personal finance refreshingly simple, helpful, and human. To do this, we’re seeking an experienced Product Design Manager to join our incredibly talented Design and User Experience team (D&UX) — comprised of designers, researchers, and content strategists to lead our Personal Finance Team.
Our Personal Finance Team deep dives into the experiences that help users understand the current state of their personal finances, develop personal goals to improve and manage them, and drive execution against those goals. Tactically this includes features such as credit reports and scores, spending and saving, investments, debt, and wealth.
As a qualified candidate, you over-index on people management, structured thinking, and problem-solving skills. You’re a natural leader, powerful systems-level design thinker, a fierce advocate for the user and a strategic partner to Product and Engineering. You’re known for your ability to provide leadership, direction, and mentorship — leaning in to solve complex challenges, lead holistic thinking (across diverse products, platforms, and devices) and ensure teams are solving the right problems with the right solutions. This hire must be excited by, and highly successful at, building influence across the organization — helping to drive key decisions that will shape the future of NerdWallet.
This role reports into the VP of Design and User Experience.
Where you can make an impact:
- Mentor and manage a team of UX designers. This includes prioritizing work, defining clear goals, and creating a culture of continuous learning through sharpening skill-sets and elevating work with insightful/actionable feedback.
- Facilitate and promote collaboration with Product, Brand, Copy, Research, and other cross-functional leaders to push boundaries, influence strategy and quarterly roadmaps, and have a strong impact on product execution and quality.
- Pay close attention to and continually iterate on team’s execution process — consistently improving design quality, speed, and collaboration through efficiency and attention to craft.
- Relentlessly advocate and communicate your area’s vision to the wider D&UX team, cross-functional product teams, and senior leadership.
- Partner closely with the Brand Studio team to ensure our product experiences are deeply seeped in our brand expression and personality.
- An authentic, empathetic, and inspiring leader.
- Highly collaborative: You strive to partner cross-functionally to build the very best product/user experiences.
- A strong communicator and problem solver: You manage up, down and sideways.
- Always thinking about product strategy and vision (not just ‘how it should look’ but ‘what we should build’).
- Extremely data-driven: You rely on research insights and data to inform strategy, design decisions, and roadmaps.
- A great storyteller: You have excellent content hierarchy, communication, and presentation skills.
- At home (and thrive!) in an environment of fast feedback loops and a mindset of rapid prototyping and iteration.
- Empathetic to Engineering's technical constraints and Product's business objectives, and are comfortable navigating UX tradeoffs with these cross-functional partners.
- Massively experienced in building and shipping web and/or mobile product.
- 7+ years in UX design experience
- 3+ years of experience managing and leading design teams
- Bonus points: stellar visual design chops
What we offer:
- Competitive compensation package
- 401(k) with company match
- 100% paid premiums for medical, dental and vision for employee and their dependents
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- Commuter, gym and cell phone stipend
- $500 enrichment stipend towards learning and development for your role
- Catered lunches daily, free dinner, and kitchens stocked full of snacks
- Onsite coffee bar with baristas
- Company happy hours, social events and outings
- Generous, flexible vacation
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
NerdWallet gives consumers and small businesses clarity around all of life’s financial decisions. When it comes to credit cards, bank accounts, mortgages, insurance, loans or expenses like hospital costs and medical bills, consumers make almost all their decisions in the dark. NerdWallet is changing that, helping guide consumers' decisions with free, accessible tools, research and expert advice.
Want to learn more about NerdWallet? Visit NerdWallet's website.
Jobs You May Like
Senior UX Designer (m/w/div)
Niantic inc., San Francisco
UX Content Strategy Manager
NerdWallet, San Francisco, CA
ZenProspect, San Francisco
User Experience / Product Designer (UX)
Merrill, London (GBR)
Boomerang - Senior Art Director
Accenture, Multiple Locations, USA