2022 Legal Intern - Part-time (Winter)
NerdWallet, San Francisco, CA or Remote (Based in the U.S.)
A personal finance website that helps people make and manage financial decisions
At NerdWallet, we are passionate about helping consumers make the right financial decision by building delightful product experiences. We are looking for a talented Legal Intern to join our team. During your time here, you will be fully embedded with our Legal nerds and have the opportunity to contribute to meaningful projects and learn the day-to-day responsibilities of an in-house legal department. This program will introduce you to the complex nature of in-house legal practice at a fast-paced company.
As an intern, you will be paired with a mentor and manager who are there to help you succeed. All of our interns will have the chance to collaborate and learn from seasoned Nerds in our organization. You will use your drive and enthusiasm to contribute to and learn about the diverse areas of law covered by our corporate legal department. By the end of your internship, you will be well on your way towards becoming a well rounded legal professional who embodies the unique NerdWallet culture.
This internship has a fixed sixteen week duration from January to April 2022.
Where you can make an impact:
- Work with legal counsel and staff to assist in the daily operations of an in-house legal department; helping build out operations and vetting operations tools.
- Gain hands-on experience in practice areas such as Product Development, Brand Marketing, Labor and Employment, IP, Corporate, Contracts, and Privacy.
- Participate in various Legal reviews including but not limited to, Brand Marketing, Social Media, and Public Relations campaigns.
- Research areas of law as required, providing clear communications and presentations to legal staff and track new developments in the financial regulatory space.
- Contribute to projects that relate to state and/or federal regulatory issues affecting the financial industry.
- A motivated self-starter and a quick learner
- An enthusiastic collaborator with a growth mindset.
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment where new challenges come up every day.
- You are flexible, dependable, and work well in varying environments.
We recognize not everyone will meet all of these requirements. If you meet most of the criteria below and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you.
- Pursuing a full time law degree at an ABA-accredited law school as a 2L or 3L
- Experience in the tech industry or previous experience in a corporate legal department
- Demonstrated strong verbal, written, communication, and presentation skills
- Demonstrated independent thinking, relationship management, and attention to detail
- Analytical and leadership skills
- Interest in personal finance is a plus
- Background or experience in marketing is a plus
- This role will be based in San Francisco, CA or remote (based in the U.S.).
- We believe great work can be done anywhere. No matter where you are based, NerdWallet offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your family.
Work Hard, Stay Balanced (Life’s a series of balancing acts, eh?)
- Living stipend to help with any work from home needs
- Weekly Virtual Bootcamp, Yoga, and Mindfulness Meditation sessions
Have Some Fun! (Nerds are fun, too)
- Intern socials to get to know other interns through interactive events like paint nights to game nights
- Culture Buddy Program – Get paired with a full-time engineer to help navigate our nerdy culture
- Nerd-led group initiatives – Intramural Sports, Employee Resource Groups for Parents, Diversity, and Inclusion, Womxn, LGBTQIA, and other communities
- Hackathons, Happy Hours, and team bonding across all teams and departments
- Company-wide events like our Activities Challenge and our annual Charity Auction (Yes, we also do these remotely!)
Lifestyle (Be your best self - we’ll take care of the details)
- During your internship, you will be integrated into your team and have a dedicated mentor and manager to help you along the way
- Opportunities to meet with our Nerdy leaders through lunches and one on one meetings
- Deep dive learning events to hear about parts of NerdWallet’s teams and business
- Workshops to build soft skills along with your technical skills with topics ranging from feedback to presentations
Plan for your future (And when you retire on your island, remember the little people)
- Personal Finance Workshop to learn the ins and outs of different topics from investing to retirement
- Be the first to test and benefit from our new financial products and tools
If you are based in California, we encourage you to read this important information for California residents linked here.
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
NerdWallet gives consumers and small businesses clarity around all of life’s financial decisions. When it comes to credit cards, bank accounts, mortgages, insurance, loans or expenses like hospital costs and medical bills, consumers make almost all their decisions in the dark. NerdWallet is changing that, helping guide consumers' decisions with free, accessible tools, research and expert advice.
Want to learn more about NerdWallet? Visit NerdWallet's website.
Software that predicts technology trends.