Senior Data Scientist - Streaming Experimentation and Modeling
Netflix, Los Gatos, California
Leading subscription service for watching TV episodes and movies
- Partner closely with scientists, engineers, and consumer insight researchers to design, run, and analyze A/B and multivariate hypothesis tests aimed at optimizing the streaming video experience.
- Analyze experimental data with statistical rigor. Ensure accurate interpretation by combining business acumen with detailed data knowledge and statistical expertise.
- Contribute to existing, and lead new, internal research and development efforts to improve experimentation methodologies. Current research areas include, but are not limited to, Response Surface Methodology (RSM), survival analysis, and nonparametric test analysis via computationally efficient bootstrapping.
- Develop causal inference methodology to analyze behavior in cases where A/B testing may not be possible.
- Build statistical models that better leverage test results to uncover insights or effect changes in the product.
- Translate analytic insights into concrete, actionable recommendations for business or product improvement, and communicate these findings.
- Drive efforts to enable independent interpretation of results through education, improved tools, and data visualization.
- PhD degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Operations Research, Psychology, Sociology, Econometrics, or related field, or a Master’s degree in statistics or related, and a domain-specific PhD that involved substantive applied statistics work.
- 3+ years relevant post-PhD experience with a proven track record of leveraging analytics and large amounts of data to arrive at actionable solutions to large-scale problems, in either research or business settings.
- Solid applied statistical knowledge and intuition, and solid grounding in statistical theory; experience with experimental design, analysis of hypothesis tests, and statistical modeling.
- Strong algorithmic thinking and independent research ability.
- Passion for learning and innovating new methodologies at the intersection of statistics, applied math, and computer science.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills coupled with strong business acumen. Must be able to translate business objectives into actionable analyses, and analytic results into actionable business and product recommendations.
- Impactful presentation skills, including the use of meaningful data visualizations to convey information and results clearly and concisely.
- High-energy self-starter with a passion for your work, attention to detail, and a positive attitude.
- Proficiency in at least one statistical analysis tool such as Python, R, SAS, etc., and a willingness to adopt new tools as needed.
- Above average capabilities with SQL and related querying languages.
- Experience with distributed databases and query languages such as Hive/Pig and/or general MapReduce computing is a plus.
- Knowledge of common data structures and ability to write efficient code in at least one language is a plus.
Netflix is the world’s leading Internet television network with over 100 million members in over 190 countries enjoying more than 125 million hours of TV shows and movies per day, including original series, documentaries and feature films. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on nearly any Internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.
Want to learn more about Netflix? Visit https://www.netflix.com/
Jobs You May Like
Part Time Data Analytics Instructor
General Assembly, Sydney
Lead Business Analyst
TripAdvisor, London, United Kingdom
Senior Platform Engineer (Data)
HealthTap, Palo Alto
Business Analyst, Data and Mapping
Lyft, San Francisco/Palo Alto, CA
Senior Merchandise Data & Reporting Analyst
ModCloth, Los Angeles, CA