Senior Research Scientist - Recommendation Algorithms
Netflix, Los Gatos, California
Leading subscription service for watching TV episodes and movies
Want to do research and development for Netflix’s core algorithms? We’re looking for a passionate and talented machine learning expert to join our team of researchers and engineers. In this position you’ll lead the way by implementing and owning the next generation of machine learning algorithms to improve the product for our more than 100+ million members from around the world.
Some of the problems you'll work on:
• Recommender Systems and Personalization. Almost every aspect of the Netflix experience is personalized. You’ll apply a number of algorithms to solve problems, from the latest in Neural Nets, to explore/exploit approaches, such as Bandits, to designing your own Probabilistic Graphical Models.
• Global Recommendations. Now that Netflix is available in over 190 countries and is producing original content around the world, we have some unique challenges. How do you find the global audience for a film made in Nigeria? How should we take culture and language differences into account? Should what’s popular in Japan impact what’s recommended in the US?
• Computational Advertising. Netflix spends over one billion a year promoting our service and original content. You’ll work on the algorithms that decide what to advertise, to whom, and for how much. Success in this impactful area will require you to apply the latest methods from the intersection of econometrics and machine learning.
Read these blog posts for more examples:
• 4+ years of experience applying machine learning in industry
• Strong background in machine learning with a broad understanding of unsupervised and supervised learning methods
• Strong software development experience in languages such as Scala, Java, Python or C
• Successful track record of delivering results in complex cross-functional projects
• Strong mathematical skills with knowledge of statistical methods
• Great communication skills
• MS (PhD preferred) in Computer Science, Statistics, or related field
Preferred, but not required:
• Experience in recommendation systems or computational advertising
• Open source contributions
If you’re passionate about applying cutting edge machine learning in a product that is used by hundreds of millions of people daily, then we’d love to talk to you!
Netflix is the world’s leading Internet television network with over 100 million members in over 190 countries enjoying more than 125 million hours of TV shows and movies per day, including original series, documentaries and feature films. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on nearly any Internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.