Senior Software Engineer - Tools, Test and Reliability Engineering
Netflix, Los Gatos, California
Leading subscription service for watching TV episodes and movies
About our Team
The Test, Tools, and Reliability (TTR) engineering team crafts tests and builds infrastructure that powers testing automation across multiple Netflix Ready Device Platform (NRDP) SDKs running on devices such as PlayStation, Xbox, Roku, FireTV, etc. Automation is a key catalyst in helping us validate the quality of our code at scale. For this reason, we designed and architected our own testing and automation services from the ground up with built-in principles to meet reliability, scalability, and flexibility for continuous integration/deployment. Check our blog post
for more details.
We are looking for a skilled engineer who excels in both testing and development. This is an excellent position for developers who enjoy working on test frameworks, infrastructure, and automation code/tools. In this position, you will be responsible for crafting and executing automated tests, finding regressions, reporting and verifying bugs, and developing services to boost test automation, device handling, and developer productivity.
In the coming year, we are looking to architect multiple solutions to address the scalability challenges of our charter. Some of those include automated techniques to validate animated and video renderings, building a broad suite of networking tests/tools, and improving our services/frameworks for measuring/monitoring/alerting performance over a wide range of devices.
• Being a leader, advocate for testing automation across Netflix, and collaborate with engineers to identify common pain points, and evangelize best practices.
• Perform hands-on automation coding/scripting and execution tasks.
• Building and customizing automation frameworks, evolving core libraries, and services to increase reuse and reduce effort.
• Designing and executing regression tests on an ongoing basis as the SDK evolves frequently and rapidly.
• Keep track and adapt to rapidly changing requirements in a fast-paced team.
• Isolating and reproducing defects, debug performance issues, across all parts of the SDK, and triaging and reporting issues in our bug tracking tool.
• Improve developer productivity through better tools, processes and frameworks.
• An excellent understanding of networking/network stacks, ability to develop software implementing data exchange over tcp/http/tls working as a distributed system, and RESTful API contract testing.
• Well versed working in linux-based operating system.
• Undergraduate degree or MS in Computer Science, Engineering or related fields.
• Ability to think creatively and come up with solutions when tools don’t work.
• Ability to see patterns, commonalities and investigate complex issues.
• Commitment to QA methodologies and advocate for comprehensive testing including unit, functional, and integration.
• Excellent communication, collaboration and relationship-building skills.
• Organizational skills to gather and record detailed and accurate information about bugs and systemic issues.
• Diving into a system to understand mysterious behaviors excites you.
Nice to have
• You’re up to speed with web-technologies: Promises, ES6, and beyond.
• Experience working on open source projects with an active GitHub repository.
• Experience with Amazon Web Services Cloud (AWS).
• We hire people who want to make an impact and are given the freedom to deliver on that
• Our team structure is flat. You’ll have outsized impact and will not be constrained by title
• We pay top of market. We hire people with great skills and pay accordingly
• We live by and practice our values. You can learn more about the Netflix culture at https://jobs.netflix.com/life-at-netflix