Senior Software Engineer, Open Connect
Netflix, Los Gatos, California
Leading subscription service for watching TV episodes and movies
Netflix is responsible for over one-third of internet traffic at peak times and we’re working collaboratively with ISPs to deploy Open Connect, Netflix’s Content Delivery Network. Open Connect delivers 100% of our video traffic today, and we’re continually adding functionality to support more advanced applications and further improve the quality of experience for our customers.
To support this, we have a backbone network with sites around the globe and thousands of ISP partners, and we’re working with network hardware vendors and internal development teams to deliver creative features at ever-increasing density.
To scale the network infrastructure, we’re seeking a Senior Software Engineer to build extensible, maintainable services for our Network Engineers and Architects, Partner Engagement Managers, and other parties within Netflix.
You are first and foremost a consummate software developer. You are passionate about your work and the technologies that make it possible. This passion has led you to build elegant systems relied upon by internal teams or millions of users.
You will be building tooling to manage a heterogeneous network in a vendor agnostic manner, advancing the state of the art in this space. You will aid Netflix in making intelligent business decisions by designing systems to collect vast amounts of network state and metrics data. As part of a small team, you will see the impact of your work not only at Netflix, but also on the internet.
You won’t be alone in this bold effort and will be supported by top software and network engineering talent.
We need you to
- Understand and deeply focus on the real-world benefit your systems and products will have on our customers and users
- Be driven by, and have a bias toward, autonomy: you’ll be given a lot of context on the problems we’re trying to solve, but you’ll need to figure out how to solve them
- Be invested in the long-term view: while we need to deliver value this month and this quarter, we need to avoid technical debt and other forms of unnecessary complications that will serve us poorly in the future
- Have a demonstrated track record in building large-scale, highly resilient, REST-based services
- Be comfortable continuously pushing well-tested code
- Demonstrate expertise with Python: great programmers can learn and become experts in any language, but our codebase is almost entirely Python and our engineers should ideally be knowledgeable with the vagaries of the language
- Be comfortable with cloud environments or very large scale datacenter environments
- Be fluent in some GNU/Linux distribution
- Have great verbal and written communication skills
We’d love for you to have experience with any of the following
- Data pipelines
- Distributed systems
- Python 3
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusiveness at Netflix. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, pregnancy or maternity, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Netflix is the world’s leading Internet television network with over 100 million members in over 190 countries enjoying more than 125 million hours of TV shows and movies per day, including original series, documentaries and feature films. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on nearly any Internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.