Senior Machine Learning Scientist - Streaming Client
Netflix, Los Gatos, California
Leading subscription service for watching TV episodes and movies
Some examples of problems you might work on:
- How do mobile usage patterns and preferences differ from those on traditional devices? Can we use these differences to tailor the streaming experience for mobile devices?
- How do we quantify fundamental tradeoffs between various aspects of the quality of experience (e.g., video quality, time spent waiting for video to load)?
- How can we objectively classify viewing experiences as “high quality” vs. “low quality”? Which network and device characteristics are predictive of high- versus low-quality experiences?
- How can we adapt the streaming source and video quality for a particular user?
- What are key indicators for device health and performance? How can we automatically detect problematic new devices or changes to existing devices?
- Work on these problems has drawn from several areas including statistical signal processing, clustering, reinforcement learning, neural networks, decision trees, and optimization.
- Perform exploratory data analysis to develop intuition around key indicators of streaming quality
- Develop new statistical models / machine learning techniques for optimizing streaming quality in our product.
- Partner closely with engineering teams to test and deploy models at scale.
- Ensure accurate interpretation by combining business acumen with detailed data knowledge and statistical expertise.
- 3+ years industry experience with a proven track record of leveraging analytics and statistical modeling using large amounts of data to drive significant business impact.
- Solid foundation in statistical modeling and machine learning (unsupervised and supervised methods). Experienced in evaluating tradeoffs between model complexity and business value.
- Ability to write clean, efficient code. Experience developing and testing models at scale in a production environment preferred.
- Familiarity with SQL. Knowledge of Spark/Hive/Pig a plus.
- Independent research ability and passion for learning and innovating new methodologies at the intersection of applied math, statistics, and machine learning. This is a new field and a lot of the hypotheses, intuitions, and models will have to be developed from scratch. Ph.D. in a quantitative field preferred.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills coupled with strong business acumen. Must be able to translate business objectives into actionable analyses, and analytic results into actionable business and product recommendations.
- Impactful presentation skills, including the use of meaningful charts, graphs, or other data visualizations to convey information and results clearly and concisely.
- Self-driven with a passion for your work, attention to detail, and a positive attitude.
Netflix is the world’s leading Internet television network with over 100 million members in over 190 countries enjoying more than 125 million hours of TV shows and movies per day, including original series, documentaries and feature films. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on nearly any Internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.
Want to learn more about Netflix? Visit https://www.netflix.com/
Jobs You May Like
Front End Developer
Principal Security Engineer
Demandbase, San Francisco, CA
Principal Software Engineer, Ingestion
Nortal, Gaborone, Botswana
Senior Software Engineer, Driver Onboarding
Lyft, San Francisco, CA
Junior Back End Developer