Senior Data Engineer, Content Data Engineering
Netflix, Los Angeles, California
Leading subscription service for watching TV episodes and movies
Who are you?
- Lazy in a productive way (find tedious work boring and would rather automate it).
- Charismatic, determined, curious, and industrious, and not just talented.
- Thrive in a fast paced environment, and see yourself as a partner with the business with the shared goal of moving the business forward.
- Have strong beliefs that are weakly held: you can deliberate, and hear, all sides of a discussion and adapt to new perspectives that emerge from it.
- Sharp communicator who can explain complex data problems in clear and concise language.
- Create code that is understandable, simple, and clean, and take pride in its beauty.
- Love freedom and hate being micromanaged. Given context, you're capable of self-direction.
- Passionate about data quality and delivering effective data to impact the business.
- Motivated to explore new technologies and learn, and can do so without taking formal education.
What will you do?
- Fully own critical portions of Netflix' Content data model. Collaborate with stakeholders to understand needs, model tables using data warehouse best practices, and develop data pipelines to ensure the timely delivery of high quality data.
- Continually acquire new data sources to develop an increasingly rich dataset that characterizes content.
- Creatively explore how to use data to continually add value to Netflix. Translate data questions into flexible methodologies that scale to answer broad problems across the organization.
- Be a bridge between data engineering and the business, enabling insight that can empower better decision-making.
- Be comfortable outside of your comfort zone - explore new tech, make your own tool, or find a new way to address an old problem.
What do you know? (not a rigid litmus test)
- Data warehousing, data modeling, and data transformation.
- How to write complex SQL in your sleep.
- Big Data tech - Hadoop, Spark, Pig, Hive, Presto, etc. Significant experience with other ETL tech (Informatica, SSIS, etc) is very valuable, but expect to work in a "Big Data" environment.
- MPP/Cloud data warehouse solutions (Snowflake, Redshift, BigQuery, Vertica, Teradata, Greenplum, etc).
- Experience with sourcing and modeling data from application APIs.
- Python for scripting and automation.
- Education: Surprise us.
Netflix is the world’s leading Internet television network with over 100 million members in over 190 countries enjoying more than 125 million hours of TV shows and movies per day, including original series, documentaries and feature films. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on nearly any Internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.
Want to learn more about Netflix? Visit Netflix's website.
Jobs You May Like
Lead/Manager/Director Engineering – QA and Production
SteelHouse, Culver City
Technical Program Manager, Customer Operations
Squarespace, New York, NY
Acoustic Measurement Engineer
Plus Support Front End Developer - Shopify Plus
Shopify, Canada - Remote
Cloud Operations Engineer
Palantir Technologies, Washington, D.C.
Senior Software Engineer - Cloud Foundry
Pivotal Software, New York, NY