Japanese Language Manager (Globalization)
Netflix, Tokyo, Japan
Leading subscription service for watching TV episodes and movies
- Provide cultural & linguistic consultancy, localization advocacy, and influence other teams at Netflix in order to deliver the best possible user experience to our Japanese members.
- Define and set language standards and expectations for Japanese localization work at Netflix, with a focus on Marketing, Title Name Localization and creative translation (inc. style guides, glossary of terms, etc.)
- Proactively engage with relevant regional stakeholders (e.g. Marketing, PR, Social, Content) for additional context and insights on high visibility titles and to define the best creative and linguistic approach for top priority content.
- Help drive the language strategy for Japanese language subtitle assets in Netflix Original and licensed content.
- Work closely with external resources (localization vendors, creative agencies and copywriters) on building, training and maintaining a scalable creative workflow for the localization and transcreation of title names in Japanese, as well as Japanese subtitles of Netflix Original and licensed content.
- Work closely with other Netflix Globalization Language Managers and other internal stakeholders (e.g. Globalization Program Managers, Content Acquisition teams) to collect and provide relevant cultural and linguistic information about International and Japanese Originals content and their original title names, lead the most appropriate Japanese version for those titles, and support other language versions for international markets.
- Gain deep knowledge and awareness of content data for Japan, drive innovative solutions to define quality expectations (through consumer insight research, A/B testing and Linguistic QA framework) for best impact on market.
- Work closely with our International Dubbing team to influence the language strategy of local language dubbed assets for Netflix branded and unbranded content in Japan.
- Work closely with Globalization cross-functional teams to anticipate, identify and fix linguistic, product, subtitling and dubbing issues related to your market.
- Understand regional product initiatives and customizations, proactively engage with internal and regional stakeholders to create an optimized and consistent local user experience and ecosystem for our Japanese members.
- Align with other Globalization and Product Creative team members in region to best promote product features and initiatives to other regional teams (Marketing, PR, Social, Content, etc.)
- 5+ years experience translating, writing and editing in Japanese for the Japan market in the entertainment space - experience in subtitling is great to have, experience in dubbing is a plus.
- Strong business acumen and proven experience of managing and influence internal stakeholders at a high level.
- Strong knowledge of the movie/entertainment industry in Japan - inc. market preferences and tastes, competitive landscape.
- Ability to show initiative and work independently.
- Proven experience in creative localization (film and series title names, content synopses, marketing & social media taglines, entertainment-related articles, subtitling, dubbing) - knowledge of the product localization workflows and pitfalls a plus.
- Native fluency in Japanese and English
- Eagerness to embrace a culture of candid feedback
- Willingness to travel internationally (between Tokyo and our California offices, as well as in the APAC region as needed).
Netflix is the world’s leading Internet television network with over 100 million members in over 190 countries enjoying more than 125 million hours of TV shows and movies per day, including original series, documentaries and feature films. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on nearly any Internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.
Want to learn more about Netflix? Visit Netflix's website.
Jobs You May Like
Group Manager, Live Services
PlayStation, San Mateo, CA
Penumbra, Alameda, CA
Software Engineer I, Sr
Merrill, Minneapolis, MN (USA)
Customer Support Developer
Rubrik, Bangalore (IND) Office
Director, Finance and Strategy
Ellation, San Francisco
Ancestry, San Francisco CA, US