Senior Research Scientist - Video Encoding
Netflix, Los Gatos, California
Leading subscription service for watching TV episodes and movies
- Excellent understanding of video compression. Extensive experience with compression standards such as H.264/AVC, HEVC and VP9.
- Strong background in image and signal processing, both algorithm design and implementation.
- MS in Electrical Engineering/Computer Science or equivalent
- 5+ years of research experience, with relevant research publications or contributions to standards.
- Proficient in software development to enable to enable quick prototyping and experimentation.
- Implemented a video codec from scratch
- Background in video quality metrics, video understanding, computer vision or machine learning
- Experience with large-scale distributed systems and cloud-computing
- Involvement in open-source multimedia projects (such as ffmpeg, x264, webm, VLC)
As a Senior Research Scientist you will:
- Design and prototype algorithms for improving the quality and performance in our cloud-based video ingest and encoding pipeline
- Study current codec implementations and find areas for improvement in quality and speed
- Conduct research on next-generation image and video coding and propose technology for industry standards
- Participate in research conferences and standardization meetings
Netflix is the world’s leading Internet television network with over 100 million members in over 190 countries enjoying more than 125 million hours of TV shows and movies per day, including original series, documentaries and feature films. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on nearly any Internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.