Manager/Counsel, Intellectual Property - Japan
Netflix, Tokyo, Japan
Leading subscription service for watching TV episodes and movies
As IP Counsel, the candidate will have intellectual property experience and expertise, enabling them to impact any situation that may be encountered. In their role, the successful candidate will:
- Collaborate with creative and business and legal affairs teams to acquire and develop IP, then shepherd it through production and distribution.
- Help analyze trademark clearances, including multi-jurisdiction searches, in collaboration with the trademark team.
- Manage intellectual property claims in a pre-litigation stage.
- Collaborate with litigation and public policy teams for litigation and regulatory work that involves IP issues.
- Rapidly respond to production clearance issues and queries of the production houses and the creative team.
- Develop and implement production clearance strategies for Japanese content.
- Conduct chain of title review for complex rights acquisition and provide concise and pragmatic analysis.
- Negotiate and draft license agreements, release forms, and other contracts for a wide variety of production materials.
- Collaborate with the marketing legal team to advise on IP-related issues in marketing and promotional content.
- Work on creating innovative workflows/projects between IP and other teams to drive efficiency.
- Thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative environment, possess a high level of intellectual curiosity, focus on generating results, be comfortable evaluating risk with imperfect information, have the confidence to make quick decisions, and exhibit the highest personal and professional standards integrity and ethics.
- Be self-motivated, disciplined, highly organized, and able to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Understand and align with our unique business culture.
- Possess strong written communication skills, with a passion for drafting language that is clear, precise, thoughtful, direct, and refined.
- Exhibit strong analytical capabilities and judgment, even when the rules are unclear, and the issues are of the first impression.
- A law degree and a minimum of ten (10) years of experience as a practicing attorney (in-house or registered attorney, with bar qualification and common-law jurisdiction preferred.
- Experience with Japanese intellectual property law, including concerning copyright, trademark, and litigation related to IP matters in Japan.
- Fluency in Japanese and English.
Netflix is the world’s leading Internet television network with over 100 million members in over 190 countries enjoying more than 125 million hours of TV shows and movies per day, including original series, documentaries and feature films. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on nearly any Internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.
Want to learn more about Netflix? Visit Netflix's website.
Lyft is your friend with a car, whenever you need one