Regional Language Manager - Sub-Saharan Africa (Globalization)
Netflix, Amsterdam, Netherlands
Leading subscription service for watching TV episodes and movies
- Provide cultural & linguistic consultancy, localization advocacy, and influence other teams at Netflix (in the region and the US) in order to deliver the best possible user experience to our members in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Help define the Netflix content and product localization strategy in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Develop linguistic and cultural standards and guidelines, define quality expectations across the whole localized user experience (product and content), including supporting the development of style guides, glossaries, tone and voice of Netflix product (UI, navigation, synopses) and content (subtitling, title name localization, marketing) in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Monitor the linguistic quality output of the languages we localize into in this region using our internal Language Quality Assurance model and other internal quality metrics and KPIs and provide feedback and context to the translation teams for each of the languages/markets supported, in order to ensure the best resource fit for the highest quality impact.
- Communicate proactively with Globalization cross-functional teams to anticipate, identify and fix linguistic, product, and subtitling issues related to the region.
- Proactively engage with relevant regional stakeholders in the Amsterdam office (e.g. Marketing, PR, Social) for additional context and insights on high-visibility titles and define and influence the best creative and linguistic approach for top priority content.
- Facilitate collaboration between internal stakeholders (in Europe and the US) and vendors, making sure the necessary resources have access to the relevant information, and advising on the best course of action regarding localization processes.
- Collaborate closely with other Globalization Language Managers, Language Program Managers and internal stakeholders (e.g. Globalization Program Managers, Content Acquisition teams) to collect relevant cultural and linguistic information about Netflix Local Originals content and support the localization efforts to bring this content to a global audience.
- Partner with our International Dubbing team to influence the language strategy of local language dubbed assets for Netflix branded and unbranded content in the region.
- Gain deep product knowledge and awareness of product and content data for Sub-Saharan Africa and define quality expectations through research and A/B testing.
- Proactively engage with internal and regional stakeholders to drive regional product initiatives and create an optimized and consistent local experience and ecosystem for our members in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- 10+ years experience in managing language quality and localization programs at a strategic and language-agnostic level.
- Ability to thrive in our Culture.
- Strong business acumen and proven stakeholder management skills.
- Proven experience in translation, localization and language quality management.
- Ability to show initiative, work independently and drive initiatives at a strategic level.
- Full professional fluency in English
- Strong knowledge of the movie/entertainment industry in Sub-Saharan Africa (preferably Nigeria or South Africa); experience in subtitling and/or dubbing is a must.
- Deep understanding of the cultural nuances and differences in Sub-Saharan Africa, with a deep knowledge of the region's sensitivities and complexities.
- Experience in creative writing and media/journalism a plus.
- Deep understanding of localization specificities and pitfalls.
- Eagerness to embrace a culture of candid feedback.
- Excellent presentation, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to take into consideration different opinions and perspectives that reflect the Inclusion & Diversity values of the Netflix Brand.
- Previous experience in large scale linguistic and quality evaluation programs.
- Experience in language quality management a plus.
- Willingness to travel often in the region as well as to the US on a regular basis.
Netflix is the world’s leading Internet television network with over 100 million members in over 190 countries enjoying more than 125 million hours of TV shows and movies per day, including original series, documentaries and feature films. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on nearly any Internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.
Want to learn more about Netflix? Visit Netflix's website.
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.