Senior Counsel/Counsel - Intellectual Property
Netflix, Mumbai, India
Leading subscription service for watching TV episodes and movies
- 9+ years of working experience as an in-house lawyer in the Indian media and entertainment industry or as a counsel in a law firm specializing in the area of media and entertainment.
- Meticulous understanding of Media & Entertainment Laws, Intellectual Property laws, Civil and Criminal laws, Information Technology laws and Constitutional law.
- Production clearance experience for film and/or television series, including managing production personnel and negotiating and drafting legal documentation such as license agreements, no objection letters, release forms for a wide variety of production materials.
- Good knowledge of filmed entertainment and the production process.
- Seasoned experience with dealing in complex rights transactions for acquisition/license of book rights, underlying copyrightable works rights and content rights.
- Experience managing heavy workflow and cross vertical collaboration independently.
- Outstanding communication skills and a bias toward creative and innovative thinking.
- Ability to work proactively, independently and reliably on multiple projects under tight timeframes in a fast-paced environment interacting with production houses, cross-functional departments and vendors.
- Highly collaborative and responds positively to pressure, change and new ideas. Curious and eager to tackle matters outside the area of expertise.
- A great leader who has had earlier experience of handling a high performing team.
- Sense of humor.
- Identify legal and IP related risks in our content and help our Content team navigate them.
- Collaborate with Content and Business & Legal Affairs teams to acquire and develop IP, then shepherd it through production and distribution.
- Collaborate with the Business & Legal Affairs teams for advising on complicated rights structuring in agreements.
- Analyze trademark clearances, including multi-jurisdiction searches in collaboration with the Trademark team.
- Manage IP and music related claims in the pre-litigation stage.
- Collaborate with Litigation, Public Policy and Regulatory teams for litigation and regulatory work that involves IP issues.
- Rapidly respond to production clearance issues and queries of the production houses and the creative team.
- Conduct chain of title review for complex rights acquisition and provide concise and pragmatic analysis.
- Negotiate and draft license agreements, release forms and no objection letters etc. for a wide variety of production materials.
- Collaborate with the Marketing Legal team to advise on IP-related issues in marketing and promotional content.
- Work on creating innovative workflows/projects between IP and other teams to drive more efficienciency.
Netflix is the world’s leading Internet television network with over 100 million members in over 190 countries enjoying more than 125 million hours of TV shows and movies per day, including original series, documentaries and feature films. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on nearly any Internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.
Want to learn more about Netflix? Visit Netflix's website.
A membership platform that makes it easy for artists and creators to get paid