Director of Product Innovation - Creative Personalization
Netflix, Los Gatos, California
Leading subscription service for watching TV episodes and movies
We realize that creating a delightful discovery experience for our members means that in addition to selecting relevant movies and TV shows for them, we need to represent the essence of each title using relevant images, trailers and other “evidence” to make their selection process quick and enjoyable. We’re looking for a Director of Product Innovation to lead this area; to devise algorithms and systems that will
• Pick the best set of assets to represent each title to each member from an existing set of images and trailers available for that title.
• Work in the intersection of art and science, in concert with our creative team, to improve the generation of diverse image and video assets for our original titles that are likely to resonate with different audiences.
You have a chance to disrupt and dramatically improve on decades old ideas and practices in the entertainment industry using the power of data and algorithms. We are just getting started with our efforts in this area and we are excited by the potential impact on our business.
Who will be successful in this role?
You care deeply about the non-member and member product experience, resulting in many clear hypotheses for potential improvements to our algorithms that you can naturally group into areas of opportunity. You will craft, communicate and execute a strategy to advance these areas, leveraging available data as much as possible to inform and explain your choices. You will lead cross-functional teams of software and research engineers, mathematicians, data scientists, and statisticians while partnering effectively with stakeholders from different parts of the company to bring your vision to life.
You know advanced mathematical modeling and analysis, particularly some combination of probabilistic modeling, statistics, optimization and machine learning, so deeply that you are well aware they are just tools to solve problems rather than being an end in themselves. You naturally gravitate towards experimentation as a way to validate your hypotheses while having a healthy skepticism when interpreting experimental results.
The Director of Product Innovation may come from a wide range of backgrounds: perhaps someone who has led algorithmic innovation for a successful software company, or a pragmatic academic with experience modeling and experimenting with complex systems and in computer science.Important for the role is the technical bent to work with world-class engineers, the statistical acumen to collaborate with top-notch data scientists and the business sense to drive product goals and strategies.Demonstrated ability to build successful consumer facing applications and algorithms, and a strong feel for movie/TV content are big pluses.
- Proven history of intuition for generating great algorithmic ideas with demonstrated impact on business metrics through AB testing
- Experience and demonstrated leadership working effectively with data scientists, machine learning engineers, statisticians etc.
- Ability to articulate technical content to diverse non-technical audiences. Ability to partner with people from different parts of the company to ensure that your solutions drive real business impact. Strategic thinking and ability to incorporate larger business context into algorithm development.
- 4+ years experience working on mathematical models to solve business problems
- Post graduate education (MS or PhD) in a applied quantitative field such as : Econometrics, Statistics, Machine learning, Operations research, Information theory, Control Theory
A couple of things worth knowing:
- Though this is a senior role, you won’t have any direct reports. Instead you will have the freedom to focus on significant business impact while orchestrating the work of impressive teams.
Netflix is the world’s leading Internet television network with over 100 million members in over 190 countries enjoying more than 125 million hours of TV shows and movies per day, including original series, documentaries and feature films. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on nearly any Internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.
Want to learn more about Netflix? Visit