Production Engineer, Documentaries & Unscripted - Studio Technologies
Netflix, Los Angeles, California
Leading subscription service for watching TV episodes and movies
Netflix is the leading provider of streaming video, a lot of it original content: features, shorts, series, documentaries, comedy specials and unscripted content. Optimizing content quality and longevity without compromising efficiency across all types of projects presents significant challenges, but that’s what the Studio Technologies team does by setting technical requirements and best practices, driving new industry standards, creating new tools and providing direct support to Netflix Original Productions.
As Netflix produces more and more programming around the world, leveraging new video and audio technology, we are scaling to support the needs of diverse creative teams. As part of the Studio Technologies group, you will help guide picture, audio and archival specifications, explore new technology and define best practices for documentary and unscripted Netflix Originals, from capture through post-production and distribution.
The Studio Technologies Team
Staying up-to-date with the most advanced developments in professional and consumer motion picture and sound technology and practices, evaluating their applicability to our goals, and supporting their implementation: this is our everyday. Our engineers are subject matter experts who offer varied yet overlapping backgrounds in motion picture production, post-production and distribution - image science, editorial, color correction, image capture, encoding, compression, storage, video, audio... We collaborate with the crews as well as our internal production, post-production, distribution, marketing and development teams, advising on technical decisions, setting best practices, detailing and explaining specifications. We also consult with manufacturers, advocating for the needs of our creative talent and business.
Quite often, our team is the link between the product (“Netflix the OTT Service”) and the content (“Netflix the Studio”) on matters of video and audio technology.
You are an expert in the technical workflows and practices of documentary production and other unscripted content, with experience across all budget levels and nonfiction genres. You understand current workflows, techniques and tools, and how they’ve developed as technology and creative demands have evolved. You have worked with filmmakers, directors, show-runners, editors, producers, cinematographers, mixers, network or studio executives, and you understand their goals and challenges. You’ve kept abreast of developing standards and new technologies that are shaping content, and have ideas about how to ensure its longevity.
- 8+ years of production and post-production experience in a technical capacity, interacting with creatives and operators;
- Understanding of a variety of video workflows and practices across different types of content, from documentary features to unscripted;
- Experience with 4K/UHD unscripted workflows
- Knowledge of industry standards and the bodies that ratify them;Knowledge of and relationships with technology solutions, equipment and service vendors across post and production.
- Knowledge of A/V distribution formats and consumer technology;The communication skills to clearly articulate and document technical concepts and explain how they impact the creative process.
- Comprehensive knowledge of AVID, color correction and sound & video capture, and the documentary/unscripted workflows that govern their use.
- A passion for documentary filmmaking and unscripted programming.
Netflix is the world’s leading Internet television network with over 100 million members in over 190 countries enjoying more than 125 million hours of TV shows and movies per day, including original series, documentaries and feature films. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on nearly any Internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.