Senior Data Engineer - Content Delivery Network
Netflix, Los Gatos, California
Leading subscription service for watching TV episodes and movies
What you'll do
- You’ll take ownership and increase automation and scale of complex data sets that drive use cases by our analytical partners such as hardware capacity planning and failure prediction, understanding network topology and forecasting network traffic flow, and monitoring/improving efficiency of deployment and turnover of Netflix-encoded assets to the network.
- You'll dive deep on how we perform A/B testing with respect to Open Connect devices, working closely with Data Scientists to modify and maintain core experimentation pipelines
- You’ll build robust data pipelines of high data quality in a scalable fashion (both data and maintainability).
- Every video or audio file you stream from Netflix started as a file living on an editor’s hard drive and became a Netflix-encoded asset sitting on a server ready to be played. You’ll create the data pipelines that will let us quantify and understand that life cycle by merging system activity and customer behavior.
- We need to process data more quickly than ever to enable rapid experimentation in an increasingly nimble engineering organization. You’ll help implement our business logic to be compatible with real-time/stream processing frameworks.
Who you are
- Have several of the characteristics/skills listed below and have passion and self-drive to quickly learn in areas of less familiarity. We believe the experience in your years is more important than your years of experience.
- Enjoy a high level of autonomy in managing cross-functional engineering projects. We enjoy a culture of Freedom & Responsibility.
- Have experience building production data pipelines using one or more frameworks such as Spark, Flink or Hive/Hadoop. Have hands on experience with schema design and data modeling.
- Have programming proficiency in Scala or Java. You have a software engineering mindset and strive to write elegant, maintainable code and you're comfortable working in a variety of tech stacks. You may even be a software engineer with a focus or passion for data-driven solutions.
- Have strong SQL skills and knowledge and familiarity with other distributed data stores such as ElasticSearch or Cassandra.
- Have excellent communication in sharing context to effectively collaborate with analytical partners, domain experts and other consumers of your work, preferably in supporting an engineering or product function. We like to collaborate across teams and so should you.
- Ambitious and willing to take action, but not stubborn. Awareness to recognize when you're wrong and move past your own mistakes. We are humbly confident in ourselves and our work.
Netflix is the world’s leading Internet television network with over 100 million members in over 190 countries enjoying more than 125 million hours of TV shows and movies per day, including original series, documentaries and feature films. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on nearly any Internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.
Want to learn more about Netflix? Visit Netflix's website.
Jobs You May Like
Technical Portfolio Manager - Industrial Solutions
Mendix, Boston | Detroit | Cincinnati | Portland, OR